Chapter 1

It's starting, I'm here again but I don't know how I know that I've been here before. Something doesn't feel right, the panic rising up inside me. Everyone is acting so normal, how can they? How can they not feel it too? There's shops, pedestrians and cars. Then I realise I can't hear anything,  the noise you'd expect from footsteps, engines, there's nothing. 

  I'm looking around for something to reassure myself but I only see the white car, and I know that it's about to happen. The bad thing I can sense but not quite grasp. It's travelling too fast. The sudden noise of the tyres screeching pierces my eardrums, I close my eyes and put my hands to my ears. I'm jerked forward and slammed backwards. I open my eyes to the inside of the car, the steering wheel in front of me. But I wasn't driving. I don't know why but I look at my hands, they're not mine, but familiar. My mothers hands are covered in blood even though she hasn't left the car. 

 Using my feet as momentum I scramble backwards out  of the car as it drives off, I can just see my mothers face, no expression, as she speeds off. Everyone around me is panicking now, in their silence once again, hurriedly making phone calls and crowding around a particular spot a little way down the road. I follow the streaks of blood on the tarmac, and even though no one can see me a little opening appears in the crowd. I go to kneel by the mans side and feel the scream building in my throat...

                                                                              * * *

Every day is an opportunity. An opportunity to do something worthwhile, make a difference, that whole deep, meaningful shebang.

   Working through my usual morning routine I realised I could probably do the whole thing in my sleep, which would really add bonus points to the fact that I wouldn’t have to wake up as early to look this good for school. Because sad as it was, the whole changing the world thing was really only for the cleverest people, or the richest, or the ones that lived in the biggest most thriving cities and was surrounded by interesting and amazing stuff that happened every day.

   The most I could do was demonstrate tasteful makeup and outstanding dress style to the disapproving OAP’s, and bored to death teenagers, and inspire the youngest children to not grow up thinking that what their Nan’s wore was fashion. 

   I had about ten minutes to finish getting ready for school, according to my oversized D&G watch. All my accessories are oversized, of course. I attempted to tame my major bed head with a paddle brush. 

   Same as I did everyday, I silently thanked the person that changed the world and thought of internet shopping. Saving me from having to shop at the local and only shop in the village that sold, what they tried to pass of as, clothes. Tweed suits, sensible ‘sturdy’ shoes and not a diamante or stiletto in sight. 

   I shoved my mascara wand back into its tube and chucked it onto my dressing table, I like my stuff spread out so it’s easier to find.

   “Ban-Anna! Think of all those animals they test that crap on that you‘re putting on your face, Boiye’s waiting for you outside!” John Brookes, otherwise known as Dad, thinking he’s absolutely hilarious. His ‘witty’ nicknames usually have something to do with bananas, Anna-Bananna; Ban-Anna-rama, and now Ban-Anna.

   I could just imagine my loafing older brother, Simon, sitting at the breakfast bar snickering whilst they both ate black toast with heaps of Lurpak spreadable, which despite the name, would not be spread on as much as spooned on and drinking instant coffee with undissolved bits floating on the top.

   The fact my dad knew I was at that stage of my regime was too creepy, we can rule out my Dad being psychic seeing as we hadn’t won the lottery yet, but what I hadn’t yet ruled out was my theory that he’d installed cameras into my room. Not for anything weird but purely for teenage daughter up-to-no-good watch. Not that I’d ever given him motivation for that extreme measure, the only boy and person I ever saw was my best friend, and he came out years ago.