Epilogue

The folded paper in his lapel pocket held a phantom weight due to the value of the words printed on it. As he removed the document and opened it he took extra care in smoothing out the folds and repositioning the paperclip holding a photo in place at the top corner.

   He looked up at the front upstairs window with a blue flashing light illuminating the thin curtain fabric indicating the person within was still awake and watching television.

   Absolutely perfect, he thought to himself with a satisfied grin and the adrenaline rush of confidence as his next game was about to begin. This was going to be a good one, he thought. He hadn’t had one this young for a while now and modern age teenagers were so tragic and tortured.

   He’d planned most of it out already, it was never enough to just do the required, he liked the drama he could make it into. Well what else are you supposed to do with eternity on your hands?

   As he crunched his leather boots up the gravel driveway he replaced his smug exterior with one more fitting to the nineteen year old just-dropping-by-to-say-hi character he’d be playing instead.

   He wrapped his knuckles on the door and stepped back out of the orange glare of the porch light. The darkness did a lot more for his looks than illuminating them did. Not that he had anything to hide but it was key for him to retain an air of mystery and the impression of solitude kept people guessing.

He could hear footsteps descending the stairs and 3,2,1.. The door swung open.

   “Bramley!”

   He reached up and rubbed the back of his neck in mock insecurity, “Hey, hope you don’t mind me stopping by, I was just passing through.”

   “No worries mate.” The young lad answered. A second set of footsteps pattered down the stairs behind him and the girl from the photo appeared at his shoulder.

   She eyed the stranger warily at first and he perceptibly noticed the change from uncertainty to mildly interested curiosity.

   But still, true to form from everything he’d learnt about her from Boiye so far, she still shared with him some sort of look and asked accusingly, “Boiye, who the fuck is this?”

   “You must be Anna.” He replied with a wink.