Chapter Fifteen ✓

:

His head snaps back.

:

Coen stumbles off the sidewalk and knocks into my hip, keeling over and holding his face. I grab his arm and steady him, taking his place. Don hunches in front of me, rolling his shoulder and staring up with dark and drooping eyes. He sneers his lip at me.

"You wanna go too?" He slurs.

"Aaron." Coen says from behind me. "Don't."

 Everything blurs.

:

"Hey thirteen."

I slam my locker shut, revealing the boy behind my locker door. I hadn't noticed him come up- he always comes and goes as he pleases. He grins with narrow green eyes, leaning with his arms crossed over his chest. 

"Jesus, Roe." I breathe, kneeling down to shove two of the textbooks I retrieved into my satchel. "Do you just try to scare people?"

"I don't try to." He says nonchalantly, chewing his mint gum like cud. "Missed you out there at the game. Sucks you had to sit it out."

"Yeah." I sigh, standing and swinging my bag over my shoulder. "Doc said I need to give my ankle another two weeks. You guys don't do half bad without me- obviously not as great, but you do good."

"Get over yourself, Aaron." Roe laughs. "Where'd you go during the second half?"

Roe's teeth are bleached and blinding every time he flashes a smile. Brown haired, square jawed, rich, and on the football team. One of those douchebags you could imagine being on reality TV. 

"Nowhere." I say, shaking my head.

"Bullshit." Roe says. "Not with that dopey smile on your face. Booty call or something?"

"I wish." I sigh. The image of Quinn in that dark building lingers in the back of my mind. "All I did was smoke some herb to get rid of some of the pain."

"Better hope Coach doesn't run a drug test anytime soon." He says, playfully punching my arm. "That what you were doing when you played hooky yesterday, too?"

"Yeah, that and studying." I say. "I was baked all Friday. Sad to see Monday here because I didn't learn shit even after skipping."

I had been with Quinn all of that day. One of my better days, even if we argued for the most of it. He always stayed paranoid about things that didn't even matter. I'm in love with a drama queen; or at least I think that I am, especially after making such a bold declaration. 

Our relationship is a hell of a secret to hide from the entire school. It makes me shaky just to think about the conversation we'd had that day, or to think about anyone knowing about us at all.

"Thirteen, team stoner." Roe muses. "Funny, but not what I'm here for. And, uh..." 

He trails off, leaning to look over my shoulder down the hall. I turn my head to see what's made him lose track. Mila walks down the hall, books hugged against her chest. Small, blonde and bright. I smile when I see her.