007: Hunter

Thunder cracked the shell of a nervous sky as shadows previously unknown to the world were cast into a barren night

Thunder cracked the shell of a nervous sky as shadows previously unknown to the world were cast into a barren night. The creature roared as it stepped into the unfamiliar world, its skin aglow with an unnatural blue, and it scratched itself in irritation. The force of travel had rubbed off on it, leaving a residue of light like radiation on its leathery hide.

Then it clawed at ground nervously, it's two pairs of talon raking the earth like knives. A snap echoed through the forest and it turned its head to find itself surrounded by a scorching wreckage of unfamiliar land. Everything was so different, the dirt, the trees, even the sky was unfamiliar. Only the burning was the same, the glow that burned his skin twinning only the fire that scorched the trees. The burn was the same.

The creature spread its wings hesitantly, as to test the air in this strange new land. It seemed fine enough. Maybe the air was the same as well.

The beast took a step forward, its thick tail poised several inches above the ground as it scanned the burning trees for signs of danger. As he paced, the glow of the traveling light began to fade from the creature's skin, but even without it, the beast shone brighter than a signal flare in the eyes of those who hunted him.

This new world was dangerous. The beast could sense it.

But it was unfamiliar with the ways of the new land. It was searching for others like himself, the kind with wings, and claws, and breath of flames – small or large, all of them had the potential to deal great damage, especially in an unfamiliar place such as this.

And thus, the hunter moved forward, hiding with ease among the darkest shadows of the night.

Under the cover of clouds, he glided forward silently unbeknownst to the beast below. The storm was his belonging, his and his alone; a concept of creation that belonged only to the greatest of forces. And he was that force. The thunder muffled his approach and against all odds, the sky grew darker.

The creature's head snapped to the sky, and realization shook its burning heart. It made an attempt to scamper back into the woods, but suddenly there was no going back. Wings fell like curtains before the eyes of the beast and seconds later, fire blanketed down from the sky in columns of molten destruction.

But despite all this, the creature was not afraid.

It was just another dragon; not even a terribly large one, although bigger than himself. But still, he had not survived without winning battles against slim odds.

The creature on the ground tucked its wings over its head until the flames sputtered away, and then he lunged, teeth out and claws rearing. Even though he couldn't see his foe, he followed the heat trail away from the ground to attack. And then out of nowhere his enemy appeared, faster and closer than he would have ever imagined.

The two dragons met in the sky, bright spans of color flashing from the wings of the attacker as it dove full weight into the new beast. Its head was harder than rock and the hot air flooding from his mouth sent the ground dragon flying backwards.