013: Biker Hijabi and the Data Storm pt. 2

Saida turned around to find a dark skinned girl in a grey, hooded denim jack leaning half way out the driver's side of the black Nissan

Saida turned around to find a dark skinned girl in a grey, hooded denim jack leaning half way out the driver's side of the black Nissan. Her eyes were dark but lively, and on her lips lingered the faintest shadow of a smile. A neat ponytail curled over one shoulder and an iron ring hung from the chain around her neck.

Saida shifted her helmet to her other arm and stirred the air with one hand. "Who's running? If you try to run me over, I will automatically ride faster. It's basic survival."

Her friend chuckled and shook her head. "If I was trying to run you over, you would be dead by now."

"I'll believe that when I see it."

"And you'll see it the day you push me over the edge. Count on it, Sadie."

Saida smiled and stepped off the road, allowing her friend access to the student lot. As she waited, she wondered mildly how things'd have played out if she was working without her best friend by her side. All her endless nights behind a computer screen would mean nothing to her without Kiara to share coffee the following morning. She chuckled and rubbed her neck through her headscarf.

Several minutes later, Kiara scampered to her side and gave the case strapped to her back a casual tap. "So what did you find this time?"

"We have another burning off in the North district." Saida set to work unbuckling the straps that fastened the briefcase to her shoulders. The two of them walked at a leisurely pace. "Same as the others, you know. The energy is like nothing that has ever been documented before. It appears quickly, and disappears almost as fast, but the energy lingers. It's still detectable now even." She paused. "I didn't see this one personally, but there was a news report on the local four site this morning."