018: A Severe Lack of Dra(ma)gons

I'D LIKE TO SAY I'D AWAKENED TO CHAOS, and pain, or some other heroic crap like that, but when I opened my eyes to the weak hospital smell, the only thing I could sense was solitude, the type of solitude that comes with being gravely, and deathly ...

I'D LIKE TO SAY I'D AWAKENED TO CHAOS, and pain, or some other heroic crap like that, but when I opened my eyes to the weak hospital smell, the only thing I could sense was solitude, the type of solitude that comes with being gravely, and deathly alone.

Yet that didn't seem right at all. I wasn't alone. I could see Madi sitting across the room talking to a white lab coat, and I could hear my parents somewhere outside out loud how I managed to have such bad luck that I was one of the few people in the vicinity when a bomb went off in the football stadium.

Bomb?

I closed my eyes again. So that was the story they were going with. A bomb had gone off. This was why everyone went on about the United States being unsafe and full of violence. One dragon gets slaughtered and suddenly it was just another attack on a public high school.

And why did everything feel so lonely?

I sat up with a jolt. "Selphon."

"Took you long enough, you insufferable louch."

"What's a louch?" I muttered as I rubbed the drowsiness from my head, forcing my eyes to focus on the voice before me.

Her blond hair was like a curtain hiding a face of disappointment. "Welcome back to the world of the living." Madi smiled but it looked like it hurt, she reached over to the wall and it took a few seconds to realize that she was trying to ring for a doctor.

"Wait." I reached toward her with one arm only to find my hand covered in a mass of bandages.

She paused.

"Is everyone okay?"

She paused. "Mark will live, though he probably won't be able to stand brass instruments for a while. Saida is fine –"

"Saida?" I repeated in confusion.

"She was the Muslim girl up there with you," she clarified with a short click of her tongue. "You didn't know? She's in my graphics communication class with me, an upper class-man."