A Date

I found my heart warming watching as Julian helped Zach out of the car and into his wheelchair. Julian didn't shy away once from Zach's wandering hands. In fact, he found my best friend's antics amusing. Which I couldn't begin to tell you how important that was to me. As much as I loved Julian, I wasn't sure if I could be with him if he didn't accept Zach.

     Shaking myself out of those thoughts, I reminded myself that unless Julian could prove his innocence, there would be no me and him anyway.

     "Gosh, you're so strong," Zach giggled once he was settled in his chair. His hand gripped Julian's muscular arm, giving it a squeeze. "How often do you workout?"

     I hid my laugh in the collar of my coat. Only Zach would ride along on my date and flirt with him. He's so lucky I adored him. Peering at Julian, I wondered how he'd respond.

     Julian's laugh was only slightly awkward,and I knew it wasn't because a man was flirting with him; Julian always seemed to get flustered when it came to any kind of attention. "2-3 times a week I go to the gym with my brother." He gripped the back of Zach's wheelchair and looked over at me. "You ready, princess?"

     Ignoring my fluttering beneath my rib cage, I nodded. "Yup."

     Zach rattled on about his own work-out regime as we entered the restaurant. I'd never been to this place before, probably because it was closer to Julian's town than my own, and I'd never ventured outside of my home-town just for food. I usually ordered in. It was a nice looking place, not fancy -thank goodness - and seemingly family friendly with a lovely, low-lit area for couples. Red appeared to be the theme throughout; red carpets, red lamp shades, and red flowers. A bar moulded into the corner with a wide screen TV and what looked like a mini dance floor next to it. I liked it here, I decided quickly. It had something for everyone.

     Julian took us to the area with the dimmed lights, the romantic atmosphere almost making me blush because Julian thought of bring me here. And he'd already gotten into my pants so that had to mean something, right?

     I struggled to force away the voice of doubt which whispered in the back of my head. He's only doing this so you'll be stupid enough to forgive him.

     "This table okay?" Julian questioned. He'd led us to the back of the restaurant where the most secluded, intimate table stood.

     "Perfect," I responded because I would have picked the same. Out of the way and no one would be able to hear us talk...not that we had top secret information to share - I just liked my privacy.

     "You're just trying to get us alone," Zach joked, and I was thankful for the humour, the tension in my shoulders lessening if only slightly. While I didn't exactly feel awkward around Julian, I did feel a little...strained. Maybe because I found it difficult to forget about the big, fat elephant in the room. I did want to have a great night out with the two most important men in my life though, so I tried my hardest to ignore it.

      Yeah, just forget that Julian has a girlfriend while he's wining and dining you, the voice was back.

     Fuck you, I retorted, holding back a wince at the pain which shot through my heart.

     "That obvious, huh?" Julian quipped with that little half smile I adored. "Here," he said, moving a chair away from the table so he could squeeze Zach in it's place. He then pulled out the chair next to him and softly took my hand.

     "Thank you," I whispered, unable to look him in the eye in case I did something stupid, like kiss him. His other hand rested on my back as he encouraged me to sit. His thumb swept against my knuckles and my butterflies went crazy. Damn this man, always able to get a reaction out of me. I was trying to keep my composure here!