Chapter 5

Mom liked Cameron she met him once when we were working on a project together in Junior High. I remember her saying:  Wow, he’s cute, Ash.

I just smiled blushed.

"Mom, he’s just my partner." I remember saying.

Mom gave me a smile, "I know, but still, I wouldn’t mind if he were my son-in-law one day."

I remember almost dying on the spot.

 "Mom! I don’t like Cameron Smith." I Practically yelled.

I lied of course. And I think mom knew that. Because she was smart like that. Always knowing when I was lying or sad or mad. Anyway:

Mom smiled and said, " Ashlyn, someday your feelings might change."

I rolled my eyes, "Mom, I’m in 8th grade my feelings have changed just not for him."

And that was the end of our conversation. I wish I could have asked mom more questions. About everything girl stuff, boys, God. You know I always heard the saying “Life is precious”, but it didn’t click until mom got sick.

Then it seemed like life was put in perspective I grew up. I started to see the world in a new light. I realized that the world wasn’t all rainbows and sunshine. There were some dark skies and trials in this life and when I think of that I always think of Job how he was tested in his faith of God in ways like, great wealth and riches the health of his body and even his children were dead. When I think of this I always listen to a song called Blessings by Laura Story it goes “Cause what if your blessings come thru raindrops what if your healings come thru tears and what if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know your near and what if trials of this life are your mercies in disguise.” Blessings was mom’s favorite songs when I was growing up I would always hear her hum it. But now every time I hear it I turn into a pile of tears. In the end mom told me that was the most important thing to remember God doesn’t do anything without a reason.