The Chapter After The First

|Calum|

❝ don't look behind you but your shadow's not following us.❞

***

The walk to the bus stop's fairly peaceful. I try to walk slightly faster because if I got my bys schedule right, the bus would be there at midnight. Sharp.

Five minutes to midnight.

The streets are dark and only a few weak, flickering balls of light from the lamp posts are present, and they're basically a bunch of shit,barely working.

There are no more houses up this side of the neighbourhood. I've never really came up to Michael and ask why there isn't any but from the complete desertion...

I can only guess that there's something they're running away from.

Oh, stop scaring yourself, Cal. Or you'll end up running away with pee down your legs. Well, perhaps that would be better than admitting that I'm scared to Luke and make him pick me up.

The bus stop's dark by the time I get there. Well, it is always dark, I guess. Because the light bulbs are always not working, like every other light bulb in this side of town.

It's eerie, I admit. There was no one here besides me. You can't hear anything, not even the crickets. Just dead silence, the kind of silence that makes you want to cover your ears.

"Wow, goddamnit you guys are fugly." I mutter to myself, dusting the fragile seats on the bus stop. And it then registered to me that maybe people really have stopped using this bus stop.

Rusty bus stop sign, creaking seat, inch high dust, penis drawings...

Suddenly a pair blinding high headlights shone its way through the darkness. Enough light to cut off the power of the whole town, in fact.

A chill runs down my spine when my eyes set on the sign above it. 

BUS 99.

And it stops directly in front of me.