Chapter 4

Izzy's POV

The next day, school passed by in a blur. Before I knew it, I was waiting excitedly on the steps for Amanda. I couldn't just wait! And maybe this night my dreams won't disturb me...

"What's up, Izzy?" Amanda greeted me as she slipped beside me. I grinned. "I'm doing fine, thanks! How about you?" I returned her greeting. Amanda smiled. "I'm excited! I was also surprised my mom will let you come over. But tonight she's going to be busy, so she won't be home until late," Amanda chatted as she walked down the steps, me trailing after her. She walked down a block and I craned my neck to look for Jack. Wasn't he picking us up?

Amanda saw me looking around and laughed. "I thought today we can walk instead of drive. After all, it's beautiful out here, isn't it?" She said. I nodded my head and relaxed. "You know what I wished teachers could do on a day like this?" I said to Amanda. She thought, then shrugged. "Let us have class outside," I said. She smiled and nodded with agreement. "They tell us to stay healthy indoors, but why not outdoors as well? Not that I'm a PE person," Amanda added, laughing. Then she stopped in front of a pale yellow two-story house. "Here we are," Amanda said and started up the steps to the front door.

"Grace is still at soccer practice, so she she's not here at the moment," Amanda said and dug around in her pockets for the house keys. I nodded and stared around the house. Bright blue and purple flowers lined the house with a few bushes here and there. Amanda muttered, "Found it!" And unlocked the door. I followed her into the house.

As soon as we entered, I found myself in the living room. It seemed like a cozy place, a brown sofa with creamy pillows and a creamy bricked fireplace. A flat screen TV was hanging above the fireplace. I followed Amanda around the house for the tour. There was the lemony kitchen that was so bright yellow, it nearly blinded me. Amanda laughed and explained that her father had repainted the kitchen with an even brighter color. "As you can see, my family loves the color yellow. I personally like blue," she said, smiling.

We walked up the stairs and to the right was Amanda's room. Further down the hall was the parents' bedroom, Grace's bedroom, a closet, and the bathroom. Even though that each room has a connected bathroom, Amanda said. They rarely used the extra bathroom.

"So," Amanda said when we retreated to her room. She as perch on her bed while I laid my sleeping bag on the floor. "Are you liking Jasper?" I knew she had asked me that question when we met, but I guess for the fun of saying it again. I nodded and chatted how it was so hot, I'm surprise no one has a pool. Amanda smiled and I turned my back so I could dig around in my bag to find my phone. I found it and turned to see her staring blankly at the wall.

"Amanda?" I asked and grew worried when she didn't answer. "Amanda?" I waved my hand in front of her face. No response. I felt shivers ripple down my spine. Ok, she was starting to creepy me out. That's when I realized her face was not only draining it's color, but her eyes were weird, too. Black spots where floating around in her eyes and I felt myself jump. That's when she snapped out of her weird...whatever she was doing.

She stared at me and finally sighed. "I'm so, so sorry Izzy...you, uh, didn't need to see what had happen," she said. I stammered, "What-what happen?" She knew what I meant.

We sat there in an awkward silence before Amanda cleared her throat and said, "Izzy, there's something you need to know..."

Amanda's POV

I have been hoping my symbols wouldn't disturb me while I was hanging out with Izzy. But of course, they had.

Just like they always do.