Dementia

We’ve been through a lot. Seen so much and done even more. I don’t remember life before I met you. You could say that’s because it was 52 years ago, but I know it’s because I wasn’t alive until the day I saw your face. 

All the days and all the nights I’ve spent with you; the long walks in the park; the countless stars we’ve compared to each other; all the skipped heartbeats I’ve had because of you. I will never forget any of it. I won’t let it happen. 

My brain will always stay active with the memories it holds of you and I. Both good and bad memories will never be forgotten because a second without you is a second I spend dead. It sounds silly, but truthfully without you I have no idea where’d I be, who I’d be or if I would even still be alive.

And I know you feel the same. I know you love me and you’ll never let go of the memories. Your poor brain has become weak and your heart’s power is diminishing. Your hands are losing grip and your legs are heavily shaking. You can’t remember much. You’re having trouble taking care of yourself.

You don’t need to worry, okay? I will never leave you or forget you. 

What we have will never depart. We can hold hands until we die because we both need each other. I know you have no idea you know that but I know you know. Your memory may be gone but your love for me hasn’t. You’ll never truly forget me.

And that’s why I love you.