Relate

I walked through the halls like I usually had to do to get to class.

This time it was different.

Students and teachers staring at me.

I understood it. I missed three weeks of school and come back with tattoos and a new hair cut. It just was awkward for me to be the center of attention when most days I'm invisible.

And strangely it made me feel good.

I knocked lightly on Victoria's door but I got no answer. Walking in Victoria sat talking with all the girls who looked normal.

They smiled and laughed like they weren't all hiding something from each other or maybe they were just hiding it from me.

"Everest, join us."

Sitting next to London who smiled at me I asked her, "Do anything last weekend?"

She rolled her eyes playfully. "No. We all just studied, mostly."

It was a horrible feeling to feel betrayed. I didn't understand why they would lie to me.

"I like the new look." Zuri complimented, looking over at my arm.

Jade stared disgusted, "Are you stupid or just that desperate?"

I watched her as she neared me.

"You haven't been to school in weeks. I'm sure your grades have dropped. You come back with new tattoos and a hair cut. This is not you Everest."

"Looks like Chandler Cohen has gotten to your head." Abigail commented.

"You haven't even called me one time since you left, Everest. Your becoming one of those women." London agreed.

One of those women is what we referred to as; women that get so wrapped up in the male population that nothing else matters.

I remember I use to cry to my dad. It would always be storming and he'd hold me like I was the best thing he ever had.

And I remember him leaving.

He didn't even tell me why.He just decided I wasn't good enough for him and left. That's how it ended.

It made me want to break down.

Cry.

Something I've been doing since the party. Maybe their right. It's my fault.

It's my fault for leaving, it's my fault for missing school, it's my fault for the drugs, it's my fault my parents don't love me. For being born. For trying to find a place where I belong.

It's my fault for wanting love.

"Stupid girl." Victoria pulled me by my shirt that was now stained with tears. "You are an escort. That's your job. That's all you will ever be. Understand that. This is not a business that involves love."

"He said he loves me." I cried, her hands still holding me up by my shirt.

Her hand connected with my face. "It doesn't exist you dumb girl." My face stung, the tears only making it worse. "No one loves you. All of you. They don't love you. You are sex. That's all you will ever be.Especially you."

My body dropped to the ground.

She bent down in front of me. "All you will ever be good for is lying on your back, Everest. Remember that."

I ran.

I didn't no where I was going but I ran.

Out of the school through the busy streets. Car horns honking at me to stay from out of traffic, bumping into busy people on the street, mumbling a sorry.

But I couldn't stop running.

My lungs screamed for me to stop but I couldn't.

I ran into the building up the stairs.

"Ma'am you can't go up there." Security yelled from behind me.

I kept running, pushing through office people.

Pushing opening a glass door.

"That's why I think your company-"

I ran into his arms. He didn't think twice about embracing me.

"I'm sorry. Im so sorry Chandler." My tear stained face on his chest against his expensive suite jacket.

"Let's continue this meeting another time."

The men raised from their seat at Chandlers command.

"I tried to catch her boss." The security guard, breathed, out of breath.

"It's fine Charlie, why don't you go on a break."

Charlie left us alone.

This women that I didn't know. Brought me tissues.

"Thanks Bella. Now tell me what happened?"

So I told him, everything. From my dad leaving till my mom giving away my money. To my friends at the party. To wanting be loved also about to what Victoria said.

Not caring that Bella, Max and Joey entered the room, listening.

"It's okay. I'm going to handle it, Everest."

My arms wrapped around him.

"I am tired." I told him, "And It is so awfully difficult to feel sad and tired when all you want is to feel alive."

The four of them exchanged knowing glances.

"I know Everest."