Chapter 12

Chapter 12

       I was really not looking forward for today. Xavier was going to have to spend the weekend with Jolie, and I didn't think he was ready for it. He was a three year old boy who only knew his father and suddenly, his mother came back and now he was expected to spend time with her?

       At first, I thought the custody was fair since Jolie was still Xavier's mother and never put him in harms way but the closer we came to the day where Xavier had to go to Jolie's the more I thought about how unfair it was. It would have been the exact same thing if the roles were reversed and I was the one who left and came back, suddenly wanting to be in his life.

       He wasn't used to being near anyone except for me and my mom, and now Nova. It would have been a lot better if Jolie spent a few days with us first so he could get used to her, but nope.

       I just hoped Jolie would actually take this seriously, though a small part of me knew I couldn't get my hopes up.

       Xavier seemed when I was driving him and his things we would need to Joile's but as soon as I knocked on the door, he started crying and wouldn't let go of my leg. While waiting for the door to open, I knelt down in front of Xavier and wiped his tears away. "You'll be okay, Xavier," I said. "She's your mommy and she'll take really good care of you."

       "I no want Mommy," Xavier said between sobs. "I want Daddy."

       "I'll see you in two days, okay?" I said right as the door opened to reveal Jolie standing there.

       Xavier shook his head and threw is arms around me. "No! I want Daddy!"

       "Can you, like, get him to stop crying?" Jolie asked.

       "He's a toddler, Jolie, they cry when they're upset," I said before looking back at Xavier. "Mr. Bear is in your backpack, okay? He'll cuddle with you every night."

       "And songs?" Xavier asked.

       I sighed. "No, but I promise I'll sing you your favourite song when I come pick you up on Sunday."

       Xavier nodded and wiped his tears away. "Okay."

       "Okay," I said before pulling him into a hug. "I love you."

       "I love you too, Daddy," Xavier said. 

       I stood up so I could talk to Jolie, and Xavier held my hand. "Promise you'll take good care of him?" 

       Jolie snorted. "Of course I will. He's my son."

        I really wanted to say, "Yeah, that you left for two and a half years," but there was no way I was going to say that in front of Xavier.

       So I said, "Make sure he's in bed no later than eight."

       "Okay," Jolie said.

       "And keep him away from bananas," I said. "He's allergic to them."

       "Alright," Jolie said. 

       "And if he wakes up in the middle of the night, you'll have to stay with him until he falls back asleep."

       "I get it, Hudson," Jolie said. "I'm not hopeless."

       I looked at Xavier and gave him an encouraging nod towards Jolie. He hesitated before slowly releasing my hand and walking in Jolie's house.

        I then handed Xavier's things to Jolie. "Just....call me if you need anything."

       "Sure thing," Jolie said, but it seemed to have a sarcastic tone to it. I was not going to like this it all.