Looming

Even after induction Emma could never seem to get one thing right over the other. Following her shift she curled up on her slim mattress with one foot resting against the 'O' shaped headboard. She looked around the room hoping for anything to distract her.

Emma looked to the walls which seemed to hug the furniture close. Aside from her and her roommate's bed, there was a short wicker chair sporting one short leg in the front, a pair of heavy emerald curtains, and the painted brick fireplace housing thick white candles. Not a single portrait or painting hung on the walls.  She rolled on her side and covered her face with a pillow. The door swung open and she did her best not to cry. 

"Come on child. It's time for dinner." 

Emma wiped her face then followed the older woman down the various halls to the kitchen where the servants packed in to eat their dinner before curfew. 

People sat around the counters putting away food from mugs. Sara made room for them at the island, then helped Emma onto a bar stool.  One of the maids passed them a couple mugs of steaming Cioppino. Emma poked the outside of a clam shell. One inhale and she could almost taste the sea. This had to be her favorite soup, unfortunately this cup was mostly broth and empty shells.

"You're the pair in the cursed room." A woman dressed in a cook's garb inquired .

"Yes." Sara replied against the lip of her mug.  "We know it's the closest room to the mistress's forbidden hideaway. So far no dark mystical creature has come out to gobble us up."

"But the Looming is real.  I've heard it tapping against my floor at night." 

"Looming, get out. The Looming is no more real than the boogie man. A fictional creature to make humans think monsters are hidden and mysterious, when actually they are right here. In your mind. Waiting to come out and bite!" Sara popped out her false teeth and snapped them by her ear.

The cook tried to cover up her shock, but it was too late. Half the kitchen had erupted in laughter. Emma finished drinking her soup and excused herself.

"Can you wait?"

"I'm sorry gran, I need to go to bed now." Emma pushed out a smile, before hurrying out of the kitchen.

Emma's salty tears pooled up around her chin. Her feet halted so hard her toes got scrunched up.  Unable to quit crying she rested her head against the wall; her hand rubbed her snotty nose. She knew she was a monster, deep in her mind.  

"What's that?"

Through the walls Emma could hear a low growl; the sound feral cats make right before hunching their backs to fend off an attack.

"May I help you?"

Emma turned to see the Mistress in only her robe. The girl wasted no time and bowed.

"No mistress. I was just--"

"Being nosy. The curfew is almost in effect. If I were a little pigtailed girl I'd be in my room. Now."

Emma took off around the corner. 

Mistress Bordeaux turned to the door with no handles or locks and placed her hand against the surface. Slowly the door creaked opened. Large thumping noises echoed in the dark. The older woman covered her heart before briskly entering the room. The door shut hard.