Choices

Never on time unless there was some poisonous orgy of either food or persons to be enjoyed, Arthur first took notice of his tablet on the nightstand. He blinked hard and scrolled down to his affair for the day.  He slid his tablet away from bed level sight then tossed the covers back over his head. He pressed his fingers into his temples in an attempt to forget today was the 3rd.

The heavy oak door creaked opened.  His tall, broad figured daughter, Shay, peeked into the musky room. She could hear him groaning in misery. Shay hit the wall with the door, leaving a small impression.

"Get up you bum."

Before her hand could grab hold of Arthur's covers he rolled himself up like a burrito.

"You can't make me go."

"You promised you'd take me to see my mom."

Shay rushed her father pushing him to the floor, yet still failing to remove him from his fluffy cocoon.

Downstairs the patrons of  Arthur Bordeaux's restaurant looked up at the bouncing wood chandelier. Bits of drywall sprinkled across their heads.

Arthur wiggled his top half out of the comforter. His face glistened with fresh sweat.  A large red bruise swelled up on both their foreheads.

"Margret Bordeaux hates you. Why do you try so hard to appease her? Why not work the till harder? Or help in the kitchen more?"

Shay stood up and spat on her father's 500 year old rug passed down from Bordeaux to Bordeaux. The small fibers slowly sucked in the spit engulfing its orange green phlegm.  Arthur unrolled himself and went for his tablet, his hands quaking.

"I'll tell you what you ungrateful piece of discarded animal dung, you can live with her. You can spit on her things and be disgraceful in her house!"

"You know damn well I can't wrestle if I'm living with her--"

"Maybe that's for the best."

Two knocks made Arthur straighten up his pajamas; Shay stormed past their interrupter.

"I apologize for the intrusion, but uh you said you would go to the Workforce center today."

"Yes, thank you Mr. Wren." Arthur nudge the older man out. "I'll join you in a moment."