Fifty Two

Yalannah

'To the max' started playing on my phone indicating that my phone was ringing. I glanced down at the caller id and saw that it was Katy.

"Aug, turn the tv down. Katy calling me." I informed him.

Once he lowered the volume, I answered my phone. "Hey, Katy."

"Princess Fall, I have good news and bad news."

"Good news first."

"I have custody of Royal." Katy said, somewhat excited and somewhat sad.

"Really? How'd you manage to get E'kaj to give you custody?"

"He didn't give me custody."

"I don't understand."

"Yalannah, E'kaj was murdered."

"W-what?" I asked, fake surprised and hurt. "Oh my God. That's tragic."

"I know. Now Royal has lost both of his parents." Katy sighed. "I don't know what I'm going to do."

"Well August came up with a great idea. We are hosting a cookout at our house tomorrow. You should attend to get your mind off of everything." I invited her.

"Oh we are definitely coming. Thanks, Yaya. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay, I'll text you the address and time to be here. Goodbye."

"Bye."

I hung up the phone and immediately began texting her the address and the time before I forgot.

"I thought you was finna tell her about us wanting to get custody over Royal." August spoke.

"I was going to but it honestly didn't feel like the right time. She was so upset about her grandbaby not having any parents." I told him.

"Aight."

--

August

The ring had been done for a couple of days and it was at Yolanda's house because I couldn't risk Yaya finding it. The only people who knew I was proposing was Chris, Yolanda, Steph, and Yala. I came up with the idea of having a cookout because I would rather have all our family and friends to witness than to be out by ourselves at some restaurant or something.

I went through my contacts and clicked on Yoyo's name.

"Hey, bro." Yolanda answered the phone causing me to smile.

"Wazzam, sis. I was just calling to remind you-"

"I know, August. I could never forget to bring that." She reassured me.

"That's good to hea'."

"Listen, sweetie. I know you're nervous and you're probably damn near a mental breakdown but everything is going to be fine. You have nothing to worry about."

"Okay, I'ma try to relax."

"As you should. What are you up to now?"

"Well i'm waiting for Yaya to get out the shower so we can go to the store and buy everything. How 'bout you?"

"Okay, that's good. I'm putting my kids down for a nap so they'll be awake later on."

"Aight, i'll see you guys in a few hours."

"Bye."

--

Yalannah filled her cart with chips, plastic plates and cups and meats to cook. I filled mine with sodas, juices and water.