Chapter 1

3 years later...
"...and then he tried to apologize for cheating. And to think, I was going to go to the Homecoming dance with him? I mean isn't that so stupid? Ugh! I hate boys!" Sydney has been going on like this for the past hour. She rolled her eyes turning back to me.

"But at least I still have your birthday to be excited for. Right?" She nodded her head.

I smiled looking back at her.

Her big blue eyes remind me of looking into an ocean.

"Yea. I guess so. Not only is it my birthday but it's also the 3 year anniversary of my parents death." I said mumbling the last part.

I looked down at my newly painted nails that Sydney just finished for me.

Sydney took my hands in hers forcing me to look up at her.

"We could visit their grave tomorrow if you'd like to. I'm sure Jenna and Dylan would love to go." Sydney suggested.

I shook my head at the thought of even walking up to their graves. I don't know if I can do that. I didn't even go to their burial. I just sat in the car.

"No that's ok. I'll be at Dylan's parent teacher conference anyway. That reminds me, could you watch Jenna tomorrow night?" I ask her trying to avoid talking about my parents.

It's been 3 years and I still feel the same shocking feeling I felt when officer Kenny told me about my parents.

Why did this have to happen to me?

I was happy.

We were all so close. Nothing was more important than family.

That's why it's been so hard. Not just on me but on Dylan and Jenna (even though she hardly remembers them which kills me inside) and even Sydney.

Sydney is as much of a member of this family as I am. She spent every weekend with us since she was in diapers.

Every holiday. She even went with us on our annual family camping trip every summer.

I think she was over at our house more than she was at her actual house.

"Sure. I'll come over at 4:00 and help cook dinner. That way you and Dylan could eat and then go so you won't be late."

"Thank you so much. I appreciate your help."

She just smiled, nodded her head, and continued painting her toe nails.

Sydney really has been a big help with Jenna and Dylan. They love her.

After my parents died me and my siblings went in a foster home. Once I became 17 I was able to move out into my own place.

I took Dylan and Jenna with me of course.

I wasn't going to leave them.

The foster home sends somebody once a month. You know, to check up on us and give us bill money, grocery money, stuff like that.

Sydney is always over helping with dinner, and laundry ,and basically anything I need help with. She's moving in next week which I'm so thankful for.

I love her. I wouldn't know what I would do without her.

Dylan is now 12 and Jenna is 6. They are the sweetest kids ever. I wish my parents could see them now.

"Cassy?" Jenna comes in my room holding a box of mac and cheese.

"Can you make some please. I'm hungry and so is Dylan." She asks.

"Sure. But after we eat you have to take a bath and go to bed. Ok?"

She nods her head as I get up and pull Sydney to the kitchen with me.

A couple hours later...
"Good night Dylan." I say kissing his cheek. He smiled and gently closed his eyes.

"If you have nightmares again come into my room ok?" He nods pulling the covers over his head.

I walked out of his room and went straight to Jenna's room to do the same with her.

After tucking both kids into bed I sat on the couch next to Sydney to watch our classic Twilight movie marathon.

"You guys have popcorn?" Sydney asked.

"Duh." I replied with a little sass. She laughed and nudged me in my arm before getting up and going to the kitchen.

"So, I heard that Justin told Dana who told Ruby who told Garret who told Maddison who told Hayden who..." Sydney said while dumping the popcorn in a bowl.

"Ok ok I get it. Where is this going?"  I asked laughing.

Sydney has problems with not getting to the point. I think it's funny because she doesn't even realize it.

"Anyway, you remember Tyler right?" She asked.

I nodded. "Yeah?"

"Well apparently he broke up with Tiffany so he's free now and I know someone who has had a crush on him since the 3rd grade." She told me wiggling her eyebrows.

"No way. He isn't into me like that and plus he's a troublemaker."

I shook my head but smile at the thought of him.

Tyler Grey was the schools "bad boy".

He's a saint. Every girl has a crush on him.

Me, him, and Sydney used to be best friends but we kinda lost contact with each other when he moved to Texas. He recently came back about a couple months ago and looking better than ever. I've had a crush on him for a while now.

"Well at least talk to him and say hi. Or better yet, why don't we throw a birthday party for you?! You know, swimming, music, fireworks. It would be so much fun!! Of course we'd have to invite Tyler!" She suggested.

I mean I guess that'd be fun. I haven't thrown a party since Jenna's 6th birthday. That wasn't the best party I planned. I tried to do my best to make it the best birthday she's ever had. I even ordered a clown and a pony. It wasn't so great though. The night ended with us losing the pony and the clown falling onto the cake.

"I don't know. It would be really fun but I'm not so good when it comes to party's. Remember Jenna's birthday? Plus, I don't have a pool and who would watch Jenna and Dylan?"

"Well we could have the party at my house? I have a pool and a big backyard and my parents are on a business trip this weekend. And you can have your grandma watch the kids. And I'll help with the planning. What do to say?" She folded her hands bouncing up and down. "Please please please. Pretty please with a cherry on top?" I rolled my eyes and smiled.

"Ok fine. Let's do it." I'm pretty sure she screamed so loud my ear drums burst.

I guess we're going to have a party.