Chapter 1

“If you are where my home is I guess that makes me homeless”

My phone sang as I awoke on the last day of high school. This also meant graduation day and I was super excited to get the hell out of that prison. As I climbed out of bed there was a knocking on my window. I pulled back the curtain to see non other than my best friend Jake Miller.

“How are you already done?” I asked in shock

“How are you not?” Jake laughed as he climbed through the window. When he pulled himself all the way through he laid on my bed and looked at the ceiling.

“Lex, could you believe we’re graduating today? I mean we’re graduating high school, it seems like we were just graduating kindergarten.”“I know,” I replied because even talking about graduation made me nervous. I mean sure I would become free, an adult, but graduating also meant college and I just don’t think I’m ready to leave Jake yet. Before I know it I’ll be out of Florida and in North Carolina studying Marine Biology at NCSU.

“I can’t believe you’re actually leaving me,” Jake stated. But, I wasn’t leaving him I was leaving my father. I couldn’t stomach that man and the farther away from him I was the better.

“Jake, we’ve been over this a million times I’m not leaving you, I’m leaving my father and besides you’ll have Madison, you’ll be fine.” I couldn’t stand Madison. She was Jake’s snobby girlfriend of 2 years and my worst enemy. She tortured me and tried to keep Jake away from me. She was an awful human.

“I know, I know but you could always get your own place and go to school here,” he replied with his childish grin. But, the truth was he was right and I had thought about that a lot. It would be great, I would be out of this house but still here with my best friend. And, I mean hey I could go to FSU it’s a great school, but I don’t know how much more of Madison I could take.

“You know Jake, that’s not the only reason I’m leaving” I said nervously.

“May I hear the other reason?” Jake asked quirking his eyebrow

“Well Jake it’s just that you know your girlfriend, isn’t the sweetest to me and it would be really nice to get away from her for awhile you know, not having to deal with the constant name calling and dirty looks.”

“I can’t believe that’s one of the reasons you’re leaving. You need to get over yourself Lexi, Madison is nothing but nice to you, you’re just acting crazy. You never even liked her in the first place and you blame everything on her! So you know what, go to stupid North Carolina and never talk to me again! I can’t even look at you.” Jake screamed at me. I was taken back by him raising his voice. He rarely did that. I felt tears welling in my eyes, I couldn’t cry not now.

“Get out of my house Jacob and don’t you ever and I mean ever speak to me again.”