Chapter 1

• Dedicated to The admins over at Edward Elric, The Fullmetal Alchemist

Roy Mustang sat in his room with a gun in his hands playing that awful scene in his head. Earlier that day he had been reminded of just how much of a monster he really was. "You're the Flame Alchemist Roy Mustang aren't you?" a woman asked angrily. "Yes I am. Is there something I can help you with ma'am?" asked Roy. The woman walked up to him and slapped him across the face. "How can you just walk around and pretend like everything you did in Ishval didn't happen?! You and the remaining state alchemist should be ashamed! You are the worst of them all! You shouldn't even be allowed to live! All you military dogs should go die!" the woman screamed. Roy just stood there speechless with a hurt look. Riza, who was standing next to Roy, couldn't stand by as the woman insulted her commanding officer. "Listen here ma'am, the Lieutenant Colonel and the other state alchemist didn't have a choice. They were ordered to kill all those people by the Fuhrer. If anyone is the monster it's him." Riza said trying to stay calm. She turned around and walked away dragging Roy with her.

Roy brought the gun close to his head prepared to pull the trigger when there was a knock at the door. He put the gun down on the table and walked over to the door and opened it. It was Riza Hawkeye. "Hello sir." she said. "Come on in, it's a bit chilly out." He said. Riza walked in and Roy closed the door. "What are you doing here Lieutenant?" he questioned. "You didn't seem right after what happened today so I decided to..." she paused the second she saw the gun on the table. "Sir, what were you doing before I got here?" Riza asked wide eyed. "You're smart. You figure it out." Roy said looking down. "Roy Mustang! What the hell do you think you were doing?!" she yelled not out of anger but out of concern. "That woman was right. I don't deserve to live. No one would miss me if I ended my life now." he said ignoring the fact she spoke to him in an insubordinate fashion. "What about the guys? Furey, Breda, Falman, Havoc? What about me?" Riza said, tears roll down her cheeks. She turned and started for the door when Roy stopped her. "Lieutenant, don't go. Please." He pleaded. "Sir?" Riza said turning around. "Can you please stay here tonight? I don't want to be alone." Roy said voice shaky. "Of course sir." She gave a soft smile. They both walked over to the couch and sat down. They sat in silence until light sobs broke it. Riza looked over to see Roy crying. She moved closer to him and brought his head down to her chest. "It's ok to cry sir. Just let it all out." Riza whispered in a motherly way as she stroked his head gently. After about 10 minutes Roy fell asleep with his head on her lap and Riza followed shortly after.