Chapter 2

• Dedicated to Shyan Fry

   Roy woke up the next morning and upon realizing his head was in Riza’s lap turned red. He then remembered what had happened last night. He carefully and quietly got up off the couch, pulled the blanket off the back of the couch, and covered his lieutenant with it and smiled. He then headed to the bathroom to shower and returned a half hour later. Riza was now awake and sitting up. “Good morning Lieutenant.” Roy said buttoning his shirt the rest of the way. “Good morning Lieutenant Colonel.” Riza said rubbing the back of her neck. “Remind me to never fall asleep sitting up again.” Roy laughed. “Will do Lieutenant.” Riza looked up at the clock on the wall. “I should probably head home.” she said. “Would you like me to take you home? Maybe I could take you out to breakfast after you clean up?” he asked. “That would be lovely sir.” Riza replied with a light smile. They left in Roy’s car and arrived at Riza’s apartment in 20 minutes. She unlocked the door and they both walked in. “Make yourself comfortable. I shouldn’t be too long.” Riza said walking to the bathroom. Roy sat down and looked around. “She doesn’t have a single picture hanging up anywhere. I think I should change that.” he said to himself. Riza returned back to the front room after 25 minutes. She was wearing a knee length skirt and a baby blue blouse and had her hair down. “I’m ready to go sir.” she said. Roy just sat there in awe. He had never seen her in anything other than her uniform. “Lieutenant Colonel, is something the matter?” Riza questioned. Roy jerked his head back. “Oh no, I’ve just never seen you in anything but your uniform before. I was starting to think that’s all you owned. It’s nice to see you in something else for a change.” he replied grinning. “Well I’m at work so much I don’t really have time to wear my other outfits.” she said sarcastically. “Well I guess I’ll have to take you out more often so you do have time now won’t I?” Roy said smugly. “Keep dreaming sir. Now shall we get going?” Riza said walking to the door. Roy followed behind and they made their way to his car.

   It was a short 15 minute drive to the café. They sat down at one of the outside tables and a waiter came to take their order. “What can I get for you two today?” the waiter asked cheerfully. “Ladies first.” Roy said. “I’ll have the ham and cheese omelet with everything on it and a cup of tea please.” Riza replied. “And for you sir?” the waiter asked. “I’ll have the egg, sausage, and toast breakfast and a black coffee please.” he said. “Alright, it should be out in about 15-20 minutes.” the waiter said with a smile and walked away. The waiter returned a few minutes later and gave them their drinks. “So Lieutenant, how would you like to spend the day with me? We can hit up some of the shops around the city if you would like.” Roy finally asked. “That actually sounds nice. I would love to sir.” Riza said with a smile. “You don’t have to be so formal. Roy is just fine when we are outside the office.” he said looking up at the clear, blue sky. “Alright Roy. You can call me Riza outside the office than.” she said back.

   The waiter walked over to their table and placed their food in front of them. “I hope you both enjoy your breakfast.” He smiled and walked away. “It looks delicious!” Roy exclaimed. “It smells just as good too.” Riza stated taking a deep breath. The two of the busted out laughing when they realized how ridiculous they just sounded just before they started eating. Once they had finished their food Riza reached into her small purse she carried when she went out for money to pay for her food when Roy stopped her. “I’ll pay for both meals.” he told her. “Are you sure Roy? You don’t have to.” she questioned. “It’s my treat.” he replied with a small smile. He got up out of his chair and walked over to the waiter to pay for the food. He walked back over to Riza and put his hand out. “Are you ready to go?” Roy asked. “Yes I am Roy.” Riza said taking his hand and getting up out of her chair.