8

"Happy Birthday, Danny," one of the crews' wife wishes him, the last guest to leave.

"Thank you," Danny replies with a smile; however it's merely a smile. His eyes aren't showing how thankful he is with the guest. They do not show how truly happy he is despite that almost every guest on the list came. The smile looks forced, something that I understand the most.

His birthday party was fun and cheerful. No one caused a scene this time, thank God. Everybody was behaving nicely. I guess it's because the place I picked that everybody was calm and collected. I heard people praising my hardwork to find this great place, but Danny isn't enjoying much. I know it's because of me.

I have this guilt growing inside of me every time I look at his face, especially when people around him started singing the Happy Birthday song, I saw that happy yet sad smile from the side of his face while he was staring at the cake I designed.

I was standing close but far enough from him, wanted to be there so people won't ask anything about us. When people in front of us started snapping pictures he turned to look at me instead of the cameras. I felt his hands around my waist, pulling me close to him. I tried the hardest to push away, but of course I failed.

He looked so thankful and sorry after what happened when he stared into my eyes. There was something in his eyes singing this random apologising song to me and the first song that came into my mind was Sorry by the Jonas Brothers. I have alway wished Danny sings that song to me. The wetness in his eyes melt my heart.

I quickly pulled away when he started to leanst closer to my face. I awkwardly smiled to the friends and families around us - relieved when they didn't ask us to kiss for a picture - and quickly stepped out of the circle, leaving Danny cut the cake alone. I wonder what happened after that because I wasn't around for the rest of the party. I was staying at this little private room they have in the house.

Right now, I am helping the owner and his workers cleaning the house. I learned that it's actually their rest house after hours of working at the field and farm and it's this house they use to have a rest and drink. So no wonder there is a bar.

Danny is outside with Glen and Mark and the owner and an old man as old as the owner (the owner looks like he's in early 60s), smoking and talking. Despite their hair colour, they all look pretty much the same - pale skin, blood shot eyes, rosy cheeks and red tip nose like they have been sneezing. Danny's the tallest, out of them five, of course, so it's easy to spot him and notice him glancing his eyes towards me. And I can't help but to turn and stay my eyes at him for a few seconds before I get back to my work.

Luckily, the workers didn't say anything. Sure they do ask me for a picture, but other than that, they didn't ask anything about Danny and I though I know they see something ain't right between us. Something suspicious. With the population of below 500 people here, I love how they respect each other. I suddenly want to stay and have a family here, however, I am more to a city girl. I like it better when the mall is near by my house. Plus, I think it's enough to only have one farm in my hometown in the best country ever.

I didn't realise I have been cleaning the house for an hour and a half until after I finish mopping the floor and I glance at the clock on my wrist. Wow, what a good thing to do to distract my mind, I thought. Soon after that I take the mop and its pail to the back toilet, leaving it there. Ooppss! When I get back to the front, I see Mark is helping his wife with their kids.

"Where are you going?" I ask, though I already know the answer. "Where's Glen?" I look for Glen from inside the house as if it would work.

"Going home," Mark answers me, picking his sleepy daughter up. "Glen has already left."