the slytherins

"We need to get to class," Hermione said to Ginny as they walked down the corridor. Their first class, Transfiguration, would be starting in two minutes, and it was all the way on the other side of the castle.

"Are you out of your mind?" Ginny hissed. "Does Pansy Parkinson arrive to class on time?"

"No," Hermione said glumly.

Ginny nodded. "We need to kill time."

"Bathroom?"

"Sounds good." They walked to the seventh-floor bathroom. "We need to practice," Ginny said.

"Practice for what?"

"When Malfoy or Millicent asks us where we've been," Ginny explained.

"I was at the library catching up on homework," Hermione said, using her go-to excuse.

"Um, no? You're Pansy Parkinson, remember?" Ginny said, rolling her eyes. "What about... you were hexing first years down by the stairwell?"

"I tell that to Professor McGonagall?" Hermione asked, eyes wide.

"Of course not! You use your library excuse, but say it sarcastically, like you couldn't care less!" Ginny said.

"Oh, okay. What about you?"

"I'm fine," Ginny said dismissively. "I'll just be quiet. No one should pay much attention to me when Pansy Parkinson's there."

Hermione gulped. "Great," she said, her mouth feeling dry. "Now, something more important. Hermione Granger absent from classes? The professors will be really suspicious."

"Taken care of," Ginny proclaimed, looking especially pleased with herself. "All of your professors have been told that you're sick."

"What if people come to check on me?" Hermione worried.

"Madam Pomfrey will cover for us. She owes me," Ginny said, smirking.

"How -"

"Don't ask."

"Wonderful," Hermione muttered under her breath. 

"We're covered," Ginny said. She checked her watch. "We're late enough to be in character. Any more than this and we'll be given detention." They walked to class. Hermione had never really seen the corridors of Hogwarts during class. 

"Ms. Parkinson, Ms. Greengrass, how nice of you to join us," Professor McGonagall said, her tone clipped.

"Sorry, Professor, but we were in the library," Hermione said, trying to muster every ounce of sarcasm she had. 

Her act worked, for McGonagall's lips formed a straight line. "Take your seats. Ten points from Slytherin for your tardiness." 

Sighing with relief internally, Hermione and Ginny sat down at the back of the class next to Malfoy and Millicent. 

"Now, as I was saying before we were so rudely interrupted..." McGonagall continued. Hermione tried to force her mind to wander. Ginny was doodling on a spare piece of parchment. What had she said? That Pansy talked a lot during class?