FOUR.

( book i, CHAPTER FOUR )

THOMAS HAD WALKED HER AND Ronan to the Garrison, allowing Ronan to sit atop his horse- Monaghan Boy

After their heated conversation, it seemed the two had gotten through to one another- for the most part. As they walked, Tommy would point out different sites to Eliza- where they used to run around as children, where they played. She nearly even made him smile a couple of times.

It was a site for sore eyes for the people of Small Heath. Thomas Shelby- notorious leader of the Peaky Blinders- nearly smiling for a woman. But Elizabeth had that affect on people. She was warmth. She was light.

But the pair knew that they would have to confront their pasts eventually. Although, they seemed to uphold a secret agreement that they would avoid the subject for just a few moments longer. They were in their own world- and then they stopped in front of the Garrison.

"What do you say, Ron?" Eliza asked, watching as Tommy helped Ronan off of Monaghan Boy.

"Thank you!" He giggled, landing on his feet, "When can we go see Monaghan Boy again, Lizzie?"

"That's up to Thomas, my love," she chuckled at his enthusiasm.

Ronan turned his head expectingly at Tommy, eyes trained on him. Tommy crouched down to the Buchanan boy's height and shot Eliza an amused look before turning back to him.

"How about I take you and your sister to visit him one day? How does that sound?" Tommy asked the bright eyed child. Despite their lack of shared blood, Ronan reminded him of Eliza when she was younger- curious and full of excitement.

Ronan turned to look back at Elizabeth, as if he was asking her for permission, to which she nodded with a gentle smile.

"Deal!"

"Good-"

"You have to shake on it!" Ron quipped, looking at Tommy as if he didn't know how to close a proper deal.

"Of course," Tommy stated, cracking a smile as he engulfed Ronan's hand in his own and shook it, "There we go."

"Thank you once again, Thomas," Eliza responded.

He nodded, a look of ease on his face, "Tell Harry I sent you here, okay? I will see you soon."

Tommy turned and walked back to Monaghan Boy while straightening his cap. He hadn't had felt this at ease since before the war. It was a nice change, yet he still couldn't help but feel as if it was too good to be true.

He shook his head and climbed on to the horse.

It was too good to be true, but, at the moment, he could care less.

Eliza didn't wait to watch Tommy disappear before taking a deep breath and entering the bar with Ronan by her side.

Immediately, there were several catcalls and whistles made by men whom had too much to drink and were in dire need of a good washing.

Ignoring them, she pulled a confused Ronan up to the pub's counter where a tall man with a dirty white apron resided.

"Hello, sir," she greeted warmly, causing the man to turn his attention to her, "My name is Eliza. Thomas told me you would be able to provide me with a job? I am told you are in need of a barmaid."

"Thomas?" The bartender asked with scrunched brows.

"Yes? Thomas, Thomas Shelby."

"Oh! My- I apologize for how these buffoons were acting towards you, Ms. Eliza. They had no idea you were in acquaintance with Mr. Shelby-"

"Please-" she interrupted, "I know when to pick fights and defending myself from drunken words made by equally drunken men would be a waste of my time. I simply came here under the impression that you have a couple job openings- for barmaids."

"You want the job?" Harry asked incredulously, "Why I'm sure Mr. Shelby's able to get you a far better job then this old ruck."

"He probably could or he probably could not. His abilities do not concern me," she responded smoothly, "I am very well experienced in serving drinks, Sir-"

"With all due respect, Ms. Eliza," Harry started, "it's just- you're too pretty. These men'll eat you alive. I'm sure Mr. Shelby-"

"Enough about Mr. Shelby!" She snapped. She was tired of this man- Harry, she believed it was- rejecting her for the job and continuously sending her back to Thomas, "I grew up with five boys- I am sure I can handle a few drunken men stumbling out of their seats for a drink. If you don't believe I can keep my own then let me prove it to you. Allow me to work under your watch today and you can decide whether I'm worth the trouble."

"Fine- fine!" Harry sighed, reaching under the counter for an extra apron, "You can start by serving those on the counter."

"Thank you, Sir!" Eliza squealed in excitement, "I promise you, you will not regret this!"

"Yeah, yeah," he chuckled, "And please- just call me Harry."

"Will do, Harry," Eliza replied with a smile, she placed her apron on, quickly tying it around her waist before turning to Ronan whom had watched the entire situation unfold, "Ron, would you look at that!"

"Can we go see Monaghan Boy now?"