FOURTEEN.

( book i, CHAPTER FOURTEEN )

         THE NEXT MORNING, ELIZA FOUND HERSELF SITUATED NEXT TO ADA AS SHE SAT IN THE KITCHEN

THE NEXT MORNING, ELIZA FOUND HERSELF SITUATED NEXT TO ADA AS SHE SAT IN THE KITCHEN. She had been on her way to the Garrison when Polly had called her, claiming that Ada was filled with nerves and wouldn't leave the house to go to their appointment. So, she quickly deterred her usual route to work and went to comfort Ada in her time of need.

"I can't do it, Eliza, I- I just can't-" the Shelby girl cried hysterically.

"Hush now, Ada," Eliza whispered into her ear, waving a pacing Polly away, "Look at me- come now, Ada, look at me." Ada sighed shakily before meeting her teary eyes with Eliza's. Eliza smiled softly, "That's it. Now, Ada, we discussed this just yesterday, remember? Whatever you want to do, I'll be right here with you. If you want to sit up here and not go out, we can do that. If you want to go to the appointment with Polly, we can do that. Alright, love? But, you have to tell me what it's going to be. Now, Freddie isn't here, Ada, and I don't know if he's going to come back. But, I'm here for you whether he is or not, yeah?"

Ada nodded before responding weakly, "Yeah... yeah alright. Let's-let's get this on with, yeah?"

Eliza gave the girl a grin, wiping the stray tears from the Shelby girl's cheeks, "Good girl. Now, you take my hand and we go downstairs and we'll do what we came here to do, yeah?"

"Yeah."

• • •

          "YOU HAVE BLOODY SPECTACULAR TIMING, FREDDIE THORNE," ELIZA STATED, NOT TOO IMPRESSED WITH THE MAN STANDING BEFORE ADA

They had been at the station, ready to head to Ada's appointment when they ran, quite literally, into Freddie himself. Eliza didn't know how she felt about the man until she saw the look in Ada's eyes when she had fixed her gaze upon him.

"Why are you here?" Polly asked, getting straight to the question they all were thinking.

"I got a tip-off-"