SIX.

( book i, CHAPTER SIX )

          AFTER SOME TIME, TOMMY HAD reluctantly left the newly minted barmaid for a family meeting his elder brother had called for

AFTER SOME TIME, TOMMY HAD reluctantly left the newly minted barmaid for a family meeting his elder brother had called for. He decided that he would reintroduce Eliza to his family at another time. Business above all- a girl like Eliza would do nothing but get herself hurt if she was involved.

And so he left, and not long after, the rest of the bar cleared out as well. Harry decided to close for the hour due to the mess that Danny Whizz-Bang had left behind. They had been sweeping the floors and wiping the tables when the door chimed open and another joined them. She was a beautiful blonde lady who wore an emerald green blazer and skirt, but what Eliza noticed first had been her feline-like eyes.

"Hello, miss," Eliza greeted while setting the rag down, "I'm sorry to inform you, but we're closed for the hour."

"I'm here about the job as a barmaid," she stated, walking closer to Harry and the Ramsey girl.

Harry took his cigarette out of his mouth and sent a sideways glance at Eliza, "Another bloody barmaid. Are you as mad as she is?" He asked, nodding his head towards the Ramsey.

"Am I what?" the woman asked with furrowed brows.

"Do you know about this place?" Harry questioned in exasperation.

"I saw it in an advertisement," she answered, looking around the bar.

Harry shook his head, "Job's been filled."

Eliza frowned, according to Agatha, Harry had been in need of a couple barmaids- not just one. And they did need help, especially when the bar was filled during the noon rush.

"But it was in yesterdays paper...?"

"Believe me, love, I'm doing you a favor," Harry grumbled, placing his cigarette back in his mouth as he continued to sweep.

"I'm not asking for favors. I'm asking for employment."

Harry sighed and stood up to face her, "You're too... nice."

"And how would you know- ?"

"-and too pretty," he replied, "They'll have you up against a wall."

"I have experience," the woman stated, "And references."

She passed several reference sheets to Harry who skimmed over them with uninterested eyes.