REFLECTIONS

"Mason how was your day?" I looked at my mom. She is a beautiful middle aged woman with brown eyes and curl black hair. Most people say I look like her. She's a quiet woman who mostly keeps to herself.

"It was okay. I'm sorry again about yesterday.

"It's fine. I forgive you. You got carried away because of your extended holiday," my mom says as she dips her fork in her plate.

"It's quite unfortunate that Dylan had to start a bit earlier."

"That reminds did you call him?"

"Yes. He's fine, great actually."

"That's great. I actually have to call his parents. It's been long. How's Chelsea?"

"Chelsea is great Ma."

"I'm glad you're happy together. Just don't break her heart."

"I won't. Where's dad."

"He said he's going to be late. He's working on a special case."

"Okay." My dad is a detective. He works for the Beverly Hills police department. Lately it's been very hard to see him. He's been working on a murder case. My mom thinks I don't know anything about that. She probably doesn't want me to think too much about that because the case has proven to be the most serious case my father has dealt with. A young Varsity footballer was found dead in an alley. He didn't have any scars on him. That's the strange part. The officers concluded that the boy might have had a rapid high blood pressure which led to him becoming overwhelmed then he died. The doctors ruled it as a reasonable explanation because the boy didn't have any previous medical records so the probability that he was hypertensive was there. My father is still looking into the case. He thinks it's a murder case. How? I don't know. The reason why I consider it as his most serious case is the fact that it's the only case that has led him into the realm of paranoia. He keeps making up theories about the case. His boss actually thinks he needs some time to himself. Translation, he needs to get help. He's working on his own murder case. That is why my mother used the words 'special case' simply implying that she too questions my dad's sanity. To her I'm completely oblivious but she doesn't know I'm perceptive. I already know all about the 'special case.'

"Sweetheart how's Chase?"

"Chase is fine mom."

"I just feel sad when I see him. The poor boy lost his mother to addiction then his dad disowned him."

"Chase is fine. I think he's getting by."

"Mason don't try to act like everything is okay. His sister can barely take care of him. She spends most of the time trying to take care of herself. She's living with an abusive older man. Now tell me how is he?"

I'm silent for a while." It's bad. He occasionally spirals and he's pushing away any possible good relationships. I'm still working on helping him though."

"Yes you should. He needs you. You and your friends are the only real family he's got."

"Yeah."

"Honestly Mason I think that all of your friends need you. They don't admit it but they need you more than you need them."

"Why do you think I don't need them as much?"

"Because your life is stable. You have great parents, a beautiful girlfriend and a well mapped out future."

"That's the problem mom. You and dad have already planned my future. I'm not even ready to think about that but you're already communicating with the Deans of your old colleges."

"Mason it's not a crime for a mother to plan the best for their child."

"Mom, I am your child but I have to learn to make choices on my own."

"What if your choices are bad?"

"Then at least I get to learn from my mistakes." My dad walks in just then." Dad how was your day?"

The blonde middle-aged man I called my father made his way to the other end of the table." Mason my day was good. I was working on a case and I think I'm having breakthroughs."

"That's great dad," I said clearly acting oblivious courtesy of my good acting skills.

"How was your day?"

"My day was great."

"How about you Laurie?"

"My day was good as well. I have a new client who's willing to pay me a generous amount of money if I get his accounting records updated," my mom said giving my dad his plate.

"I think I'm going to hit the hay. It's now late."

"Goodnight," both my parents said out as I left in the direction of my room.

I got into my room and sat on my bed. I took out my phone and called Chelsea." Hie."

"Mason thank God. I almost thought you weren't going to call me."

"Why did you think I wouldn't call?"

"I thought maybe you would probably be annoyed by me by now," she said sounding a bit insecure. Chelsea has a low self-esteem.

"Chelsea I'll never find you boring."

"Don't say that yet. You might not like my imperfections."

"Chelsea I like you because of your imperfections."

"Okay, stop making me swoon." I laughed at her." Remind me again why you chose to date me because I seriously doubt that I would choose myself."

"I chose to date you because you were that weird girl on the cheer leading squad who kept stalking me when I played."

"Mason," she said out in a fake intimidating voice.

"Chelsea," I copied her. We ended up both laughing.

"Mason I ran into Carter today after school. He was with those friends of his from Lakewood high. I don't know what they were exactly doing but it looked like he was selling them drugs."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah. When he saw me he ran up to me and greeted me all awkwardly. He didn't think he would bump into anyone which is funny because they were just behind the Mall."

"He told me that he would stop doing that."

"Why is he even doing that?"

"His step dad was giving him a hard time at home so he left his mom and him to live with his poor aunt here. His aunt can't pay the bills so Carter tries to help her through illegal methods. I had offered to ask my parents so they could help him but he refused."

Just then my laptop started indicating a video chat request. I ignore it for a while but the person keeps calling. I accept the chat whilst I'm still on the phone with Chelsea. I see Chase's face on the screen. He is shouting and his face looks pale. I quickly put the phone down." Chase what's going on?" He doesn't answer. The boy looks scared and he's in hysterics.

"He's going to kill me," he says before he disappears from the screen.

Thank you so much for taking time to read this chapter. I hope you found it interesting. Please share your views. Have a nice day :-)