2 - Sugar Daddy?!

I was so lost, before that time...
- S. K.

"I'm marrying you, Scarlett."

Remembering the events that happened not even a week ago, I scrunched my blushing face.

It all started when Thomas and I ran away from the relatives who I swore would be the last that would care for us. We were tired. Tired from moving around, being passed from one known relative to another unknown one. We could only take so much after our parents' death. I could only take so much.

' I was contemplating what to do next after I remembered my announcement yesterday. I would no longer be attending St-Anthony. That was until my French teacher appeared in front of us, while we sat on a park bench, pretty late at night. "So this is where you've been..." Relief was clear in his features, but he looked winded, beads of sweat coating his face ever so slightly.

How long was he searching?

Catching his breath, he said earnestly, "Scarlett you can't leave. You have to keep attending school. Think about your future." Now that I got a good look at him, he was lightly shivering, only wearing jeans and a hoodie. It was almost winter, yet this person decided to come outside in nothing but that? He didn't even seem to be wearing a shirt under!

I gulped and said as unfazed as possible, "I don't need to, as long as I can support my brother, I don't care. I'll work as a nanny for a rich family or something... I heard they get paid pretty well."

He scowled at me, "Go back to your relatives-"

"No."

"-Then we'll find you another one-"

"No."

He just scowled at me again, saying, "You're so stubborn."

"Yep."

"Tell me why you don't want to, at least."

"They don't care," I said a bit irked.

"Are you talking for your brother, too?" He inquired warily.

"He's too young to see that, he unconditionally believes in everyone," I finally said with a sigh, "They care in the beginning, but once the going gets hard, we're the ones who get hurt; being disregarded every time."

Without a second thought, he said almost as if it was the most normal thing in the world, "Then come live with me."

In my bewilderment, I shouted at him, "I don't want your half-hearted sympathy!"

Trying to end the conversation, I told him, "You can't marry me and you can't support both my brother and me!"

"I will!"

"Don't make me laugh, you liar!"

He took my hand, descended on one knee, looking me straight in the eyes, he declared, "I, Michael Delacroix, can and will marry you, Scarlett Kain!"

I'm sure if he left me on the bench, I would've eventually blended in with the scenery from my shock. Could you blame me? Because of my stubbornness, I practically demanded him of what seemed like an impossible task; and this man just had to make it possible.

He smiled, intertwining our fingers; he raised his face to mine. All I could hear was the sound of my heart going faster than I ever thought possible while time seemed to be slowing down for this very moment.

Way to go for being cliché till the end, Scarlett...

I slowly closed my eyes, leaning in as I let out a shaky breath. I hesitantly parted my barely noticeable trembling lips. I was ready to embrace the warmth that I would soon feel, but none came to where I thought it would.