5 - Past?!

I'm not the type of person to pry, but when it comes to him, I can't help but doing things I don't usually do.
- S. K.

A few days after our little sunset escapade, I began asking Michael more and more about his past. That time on the beach, he was so different, distant and in some way, vulnerable. Ever since it sparked my concern and curiosity.

What happened with his family? What changed? What didn't? I started having so many questions and each one more of a risky subject than the other.

When I first asked him, I was worried that it would change something in our lifestyle. After all, curiosity did kill the cat. What if my curiosity diminished whatever developed between Michael and me?

Thankfully he didn't seem to mind since he still acted the same after I bombarded him with so many questions. With that said, it doesn't mean that he answered. Often times, he dodged every single one. Either by changing the subject or teasing me, or both!
Just like last night, I gathered up all my courage and told him that I wanted to learn more about him. I distinctly remember him placing his palms on my cheeks and lowering his head closer to mine. Right when I thought he was about to tell me, he squeezed my face together and said in complete monotony, "You should take that passion into raising your grades."

Now here I was, walking with Ryan and Thomas who kindly offered to accompany me to the gas station where Aileen was waiting. I was having an inner battle, debating if I should question Ryan about his friend.

Wouldn't it be disrespectful to Michael? He really didn't seem eager to share much.

Once I sighed, as if reading my mind, Ryan said, "Go on. Just ask me what's been bothering you so you can stop sighing." He added, "You sighing makes me sigh too, you know?"

"Isn't that when someone yawns?"

He shrugged, "That's basic, bro. I'm one-of-a-kind."

I snorted and finally said, "I've been wanting to know more about Michael, but he doesn't want to share anything."

"Oh yeah, I know. Michael doesn't want to shut up about how it annoys him." He said nonchalantly.

"WHAT? REALLY?" I practically shrieked.

He frowned, covering his ears. "No! Of course not! I was just joking!" He continued, "I can only tell you that Michael had a pretty rough childhood, especially in his teens."

"What happened?" I asked.

He just gave me an 'are you serious?' look, "You can be really dense and stubborn. I literally just told you I can't say anything else."

I nodded in agreement. "But I know you want to." I urged, encouragingly.

Dramatically rolling his eyes, he easily gave up, "You can't tell him I told you."

Smiling sheepishly, I said, "No promises."

He sighed, "I met him in high school, he was the type guy who you kind of imagined could beat a whole gang, which he eventually did. And I was his heartbreaker sidekick." He declared with a wink. "From what I knew at the time, it was really tough for him. When he was young, his mom fell ill. Then once he was in high school, he had 'troubles' at home."

"Financially?" I questioned, as we neared Aileen's silver car.

"No, far from it actually." Right before leaving, he said, "I know it'll be hard for stubborn teens, but try being patient with him. He'll tell you himself eventually."

I gave him a poker face as I got in the car and said bye to Thomas. Seeing them slowly disappear from my view, I realized Aileen still hadn't left her parking spot. I looked at her and she looked right back at me, wide-eyed, flabbergasted and all. I snapped my fingers in front of her face, trying to bring her back to the 21st century. After a few more tries, she eventually looked at me, still that dumbfounded look on her face.