Chapter Four

"Would you mind telling me what happened last night?"

"I didn't kill anyone! I didn't even step outside of my house. Not even one step!"

This is insane. This is impossible! No one in their right mind will actually believe this crap lot of lies! It is not even humanly possible at all!

But here I am, without a choice, right here in the detention centre. In front of me is Phoenix Wright. I do not know who is he at all but he is insistent on defending me. Defend me? What is there even to defend, if I am truly innocent? It is like admitting that I have something to hide.

Phoenix was speaking but I stopped him. "Wait a minute. I don't even know who you are."

"I had just introduced myself. My name is Phoenix Wright. I'm a defence attorney."

I rolled my eyes. "I know that. What I meant was, why are you here?"

"To defend you, of course!"

"Who sent you here? The government?"

He looked around uneasily. "Well, it was Miles Edgeworth."

"Miles WHHAAAT????" I screamed. Damn, if only that scream could break the glass separating me and my freedom.

"Yes. Miles is actually my childhood friend. Last night, he came to me and begged me to defend you. No other lawyers would take up this case, because it seems like enough evidence is pointing towards you, to secure a guilty verdict. But my former mentor always tell me to trust my clients. So here I am."

Wow, such touching story. It made me almost forget the part about Miles. Why would he hire a lawyer for me? Wouldn't he be extremely happy that I be sent for execution and never bothering him again?

I snorted. "Why would Miles even do that... Ah well, I don't really have a choice, do I?"

"No, unfortunately."

"Alright. How are you going to defend me?"

"I start by finding out what happened last night."

I sighed and told him what happened last night.

"I did not step out of my house one step. Not even one. So I have no idea how am I in two different places at one time. Unless I have a twin I've never heard of. I was right in my room during the earthquake, hugging erm... Someone."

It was completely absurd. The police came marching to Miles' house last night to arrest me. They are accusing me of the murder of Hanahana, a rising pop star. Like, what?? I was at Miles' house the whole time, and I don't even know who is this hanahana person. The worst part is, they say they have gathered sufficient evidence to prove that I am the murderer.

He pondered over my answer carefully, saying a few words that were inaudible to my ears. I thought I heard the words 'no psyche-locks'.

"Who were you hugging?"

I blushed. "Erm... No one! Just my teddy bear. You know, there was an earthquake and I was scared..."

It was embarrassing to say that I was hugging Miles. Hence, my little white lie. Phoenix looked like he wished to pursue the matter further but decided not to. I heaved a great sigh of relief.

~

The next day, I found myself in the court room, in the defendant chair. There were a lot of ugly old men sitting around, intimidating me slightly. However, Phoenix's familiar and reassuring face calmed me down. Maybe we can use his spikes to prick everyone here. I looked at the prosecutor's chair and it was empty.