Prolouge

My name is Jane.

Not Jane Goodall.

Not Dick and Jane and I'm no Jane Eyre.

I'm simply Jane; a young women growing up in southern Kentucky at the turn of a new decade.

Growing up I never was interested in the latest phones or TV shows; my only interest was in two things: my parents and my baby brother, Zane. When one of those two were gone, I was left to raise Zane myself.

If the state found out they would without a doubt take him away from me. With no friends or close relatives I did the only thing I could think of.

The night of my parents' funeral I packed the few belongings my mother and father owned, and set out for the woods. I built a small tent that was sturdy enough to cover our shivering bodies, yet weak enough to break every other day since.

That was three years ago and I'm am currently nineteen years old and Zane only five. The wilderness has made him older than he should be, and I certaintly don't feel nineteen. But no matter what the consquences,I wouldn't take back running away for anything. I've tried my hardest to make Zane's life the best it can be, and I guess that gives me something to focus on rather than the fact that we're living in the woods in the middle of nowhere.

I try to look at the bright side of things, and I don't blame anyone for the state we're in. Not my parents for dying an untimely death, or even my neighbors who never so much as searched for us when we went missing. I like to think of myself as a happy girl, or at least trying to believe that I am, and I guess that's what has kept me going all these years. Knowing that I was happy, and that I can be still.

That's where my real story begins; with a wish to be that girl again.

It was a simple sentence that just so happened to wrap everything I ever wanted into a single wish.

Yes, it was Jane's wish.