Chapter Seven

Seven

The following day we wake and the rain has finally stopped. Layton is gone before the hazy light of an overcast sky fills the cave. I wake and make my way down the mountain towards the sound of running water. I fill two canteens full of water and look for any dry wood that might be manageable to start a fire with. I find a log or two safely hidden under large fallen trees. They’re a bit damp, but I’m sure with the walk up to the mountain I can manage to dry them out a little. Layton has just gotten back when I am about to climb. In his hand he carries two dead rabbits and a wild turkey. Not bad, but still… ick; I never was good with dead things, even if they are just rabbits and turkeys.

 We climb the mountain together side-by-side and when we reach the cave Michael and Zane are just arousing from slumber. It takes about an hour for Layton and I to get a steady fire going, and once Layton has gutted out his prey and sets it on the fire to cook we all are practically drooling. We dig in as soon as the meat is fully cooked, and don’t speak until every morsel is gone. We pack Layton’s things into the backpack and say goodbye to our little cave. Before we leave I take Zane’s hand while Layton’s is held out to me for taking. I look back to the place he kissed me last night and whisper “Thanks”- thanks for making me feel safe, even if only for a little while. I take Layton’s hand readily, and carefully lead Zane down the mountain while at the same time making sure Michael doesn’t take the wrong step.

For the two weeks we manage to cross through a small part of Tennessee and eventually reach Littlerock Arkansas. Last Tuesday Zane saw a McDonalds for the first time in his life. Little did I know Layton had a credit card, because he bought us a feast and I ate so much I was about to puke by the time I was finished. I’m not used to my food being so processed and filled with so much sugar as it was with that Big Mac and Mcflury. Nevertheless, Zane and Michael had fun playing on the jungle gym that was out of doors at the McDonalds. Layton and I waited as they played sitting together on a bench. We were particularly close, but I don’t really mind that anymore. We haven’t kissed since that day at the cave, but I’ve caught him staring at me more times than I can count on my fingers. It wasn’t long before we were on our way again. Around week four, Layton suggests that we take a flight to LA. I protest because all though the thought of not walking all the way to California sounds wonderful, flights freak me out. They scare me. 

“Let’s just take buses for now.” I say, practically pleading.

Layton puts his arm around me and says “As you wish.” I start laughing from the memory of the movie The Princess Bride where Wesley would always say “As you wish” to Buttercup.

After that day I didn’t hear the word plane from Layton again. For weeks we made our way through Oklahoma, and a small part of Texas taking bus after bus, taxi after taxi until we finally arrive at New Mexico. We stay at a different Hotel every night. Eat at different restaurants every meal. And occasionally we treat ourselves, or more like Layton treats us, to a shopping trip. He did this in Oklahoma City because it was then winter and we had only summer clothes. Layton’s treated us well.

“I was thinking we could walk from here.” Layton says looking at his map one day, sitting on the floor of a Red Roof Inn at Santa Fe. I lay the comb I was using to brush Zane’s hair down and walk to Layton to see how far we have left before we reach LA.

“We’re here,” He says pointing at New Mexico on the map. “and this is LA. There’s forest through here, so we can do what we did back in Kentucky and just camp. I don’t know about you,” He says. “but I’m starting to miss nature.” I laugh and find I couldn’t agree more. Although I like the sweets and luxuries of the outside world, nothing compares to the fresh air of the forest. And I swear I’ve gained 10 pounds in the last month and like all girls I’m not so thrilled about that; although Layton says I’ve never looked better.

We leave the Red Roof Inn by noon with all our things packed into four backpacks. The boys have snacks and toys to keep them occupied, while Layton and I carry blankets, a pan or two for cooking, and water. And of course Layton has his bow.

When we go outside it’s so sunny that we first head to a shop to buy pairs of sunglasses for each of us. When we get to the register Layton swipes his card, but every time it comes up that it has been declined. The man at the register tells us that we should call someone, but I’m not as much attention to them as I am to the two men in suits behind us. Is it me or are they staring at Michael and Layton a little too intently? They’re big men. Largely built and very muscular; they could easily hurt someone. I try not to think of them and pay attention to Layton.

“We’ll just leave without the glasses.” He says practically throwing the sunglasses back on the shelf.

The man at the counter tries to argue saying all we need to make “Is one little call!” But Layton’s out the door before the worker can get another word in. I stand still for a while to regain my senses and walk slowly out the door behind Layton. When I reach the doors I look around for Layton, but am quickly grabbed and pulled into an alley.

I try to scream, but someone’s hand is on my mouth. I bite it as hard as I can.

“Ah!” I look up and see Layton’s brown eyes. He let’s go of me and gasps when he looks at his hand, which is bleeding.

I start to panic saying “Layton I’m so sorry, I thought it was...”  Layton puts his index finger to my lips to hush me as the two men in suits pass by the alley. “Them” I whisper. He nods, alarm so clearly written in his eyes. If I didn’t know better I’d say it was fear too, but Layton doesn’t get scared.

When the coast is clear I take Layton’s wrist and whimper in dismay when I see the damage that I have done to his hand. “I’m sorry.” I say.

He nods, hardly paying any attention to me at all. I realize Layton could care less about his hand at the moment and take a napkin out of my bag and wrap it around his hand for him to stop the bleeding.

“Who were they?” I ask after he says we can leave they alley.

“They used to work for my father.” He says cautiously looking right and left before for we enter into the streets.

“What were they doing here?” I ask.

“I have no idea. I assume since my credit card has been declined my father caught on that I was traveling back home.” We make our way through the streets and after a while reach trees of which we take refuge in.

“Why would he send ‘them’ after us though?” I ask. “And how did they know we were in Santa Fe?”

“Probably because our last purchase was at the Santa Fe Red Roof Inn.” He points out sarcastically.

I shrug off his sarcasm. “Probably.” I say. “How did they get here so fast then?” I mutter more to myself than to Layton.

He raises an eyebrow as if to imply that I’m totally stupid. “They took a plane.” He says harshly.

“Oh.”

“Yeah, some people aren’t afraid to take a flight because they actually have faith that something that has been used for over 100 years is going to work.”

My eyes start to tear up as I look at him and see not even an ounce of regret or sadness in his eyes. “Is that supposed to mean something?” I ask, trying to be strong and blink back my tears. 

“Of course it is.” He says looking directly at me. I would like him better if he weren’t.

“Would you mind sharing?” I ask crossing my arms. “I wouldn’t want to be a burden on you or anything, so it would be best if you go ahead and tell me how stupid I am. Because sure, I may not be as talented with a bow as you are, or as educated because I didn’t go to a preppy boarding school like you did, but I’m smart too.” I yell. Layton just stares. “And just because my parents died in a plane wreck when I was sixteen doesn’t mean I have to stand here and listen to you give me a speech about having faith in manmade technology.” I throw my backpack at him as hard as I can manage and run away wiping the tears from my eyes.