Chapter Nine

Nine

“What in the world are you doing here?” I yell at Layton. Not bothering to look at his hand which I know is bleeding.

“I came after you.” He says paying no attention to anything but me. He puts his injured hand from earlier gently on my shoulder and says. “I’m sorry.”

I don’t look him in the eye as I ask “For what?”

“For hurting you,” He says trying to make eye contact with me, scrunching down to my level. “For making you cry.” He goes on. “For making you runaway. For making you go on that plane. For making you think I’m not on your side. I’m sorry for making you think that for one second you aren’t the greatest thing that has ever happened to me.” He breaths heavily as he says “And most of all I’m sorry I didn’t tell you how much I love you.”

I finally make eye contact with him and fine for sure fear in his eyes. “Are you afraid?” I whisper.

“I’m only afraid of losing you.” He whispers in my ear.

I kiss him gently on the lips and take his hand and entangle it in mine. “I’m going to lose half of you, too, if I keep biting you like that.” I say with a laugh looking at his bleeding hand. Layton laughs and I look behind me expecting Zane and Michael to be standing there completely grossed out from seeing their siblings kissing; only they’re not there. I drop Layton’s hand and step out of the little corner we were standing in to search for them. They’re nowhere to be seen.

“Zane was just behind me!” I cry.

Layton grabs my hand and points down the hall. The dark haired kidnapper carries Michael with a gag on his mouth and the blond bozo has my brother in his arms. Zane is biting the man’s hand.

“I assume it runs in the family.” Layton remarks quietly. I nudge him to be quiet.

“Where are they going?” I mutter.

“I think I have an idea.” He says pulling me into the hallway.

We follow my brother outside, not stopping at the baggage claim or anywhere else. “Call a taxi.” He whispers.

“What if they recognize my voice?” I ask in alarm. “I don’t really feel like being grabbed again today.” I explain.

“I think they would recognize my voice more.” He says. “I’m the one they want anyways.”

I leave that to waver in the air as I call for a taxi. I must look like an idiot jumping up and down yelling “I NEED A TAXI!!! NOW!”

When a yellow car finally pulls over, Layton and I climb in and he gives the driver directions.

After a while we pull up to a large office building that I can only assume is the company Layton’s dad owns.

“Stay in the car.” Layton demands.

“No, I’m coming in with you.” I say pushing him out of the car.

“I said stay here.” He says.

I look him in the eyes and say sternly. “My brothers in there, too, Layton. He’s all I have left, and I’m going to find him.” Layton looks down at me from the outside and puts his hand reluctantly out for me to grab. He pulls me to his side and pays the driver his money before we walk off through the large office doors.

Layton leads me to the front desk where he says to the receptionist, “I’m looking for Mr. West.”

“Do you have an appointment?” She asks.