Chapter 6 - Family

Varik looked up as Katlin paced the floor, alert to the effort of timing her contractions.

Months had passed since his last visit to her home; months since she announced her pregnancy and discovered his effort to be part of it. Though he hadn't been there personally, he felt as involved with the rest of her pregnancy as it was possible for him to be. She kept him informed of her status with each monthly exam. Each milestone passed became a shared event, until her pregnancy reached the point he become confident it would succeed. It was at that point he applied for a 6-month leave.

It was not for family reasons or even for personal ones, he told himself. His entire purpose was to be there for his friend. He still had no reason to believe the child was his, but it didn't matter. Katlin was his friend, and she was about to go through the most physically and emotionally demanding event of her life. It was for that reason alone he wanted to be there. She hadn't asked, but without him she would be alone. And nobody, in his opinion, should welcome a new child into their lives alone.

Apparently Katlin's Grandma Abby had the same thought. They received notification three days ago that she was on her way too. Given the uncertainty of interstellar transit times, there was some debate who would arrive first, Grandma Abby or the baby. Now it was beginning to look like the baby would arrive first.

"Are they getting any stronger?" Varik asked as Katlin stopped pacing again.

She breathed through the contraction before answering.

"No. They're just more persistent than before. Yesterday they were gone by this time," she reminded him.

"Are Human labors usually intermittent like this?" he asked.

"Mm. I suppose it depends. It's not usually called labor until there is some certainty it isn't going to stop. Like last time. Do you remember?"

"Indeed I do. The doctor did not believe your pregnancy was in danger of ending until your water broke," Varik recalled.

Katlin nodded. "He was always certain he could stop it in time before then."

"And this time they continue to stop on their own," he observed.

"So far. They won't eventually. At least that is what Dr. Wut says."

Varik watched her pace some more.

"Do you believe you could rest?" he asked. "If this is labor, you should conserve your strength. You will need it towards the end."

"I don't think I could sleep," she argued. "Besides, it hurts less if I keep moving."

"I could rub your back," he offered, knowing that she rarely could resist a back rub from anyone, but especially so from him.

Katlin looked at him longingly. "You know I'd love to, but my shields ..."

"What about them?"

"They're not good. They've been deteriorating since this morning, and it's going to be worse for you if you touch me," she explained.

"All the more evidence that you should rest now," he coaxed.

Katlin frowned, unwilling to expose him unnecessarily to her raw emotions.

"It is nothing I haven't dealt with before," he reminded her.

"Yes. I know. When I was in labor before."

"And one other time," he said.

"When our son was conceived ... yes. I remember." She sighed in resignation. "All right. If you are sure."