ten

sounds of tapping on the window, footsteps in the hallway, the dripping of the water from the sink. it gave me the eerie sense that someone was here, that they were following me. i knew it was all in my head, but how would i ever know?

finally, i got up from the warm and comfortable bed with beautiful and extricate designs of flowers and decided to check out the noises. my feet hit the cold, hard wood floor and i shuddered. by the time i walked to the window i regretted my decision and longed to go back to sleep, but knew that if i did i would still be haunted by the noises.

i opened the white lace curtains and saw that, instead of the monster i expected, there was
a slight drizzle outside, along with a tree who's branches restlessly tapped on the window. i slowly closed the curtains, my hands glided across the lace, and i bit my lip and walked over to the bathroom.

my eyes scanned the bathroom, and i found the crook of the dripping noise. i turned off the copper sink and turned on the light and stared at myself in the mirror. i still had the makeup on from a few days ago. my lipstick was smeared, not enough that you can bluntly notice but enough that if you were looking for the you could tell. the mascara was a bit smeared as well, and my hair was up in a sort of disheveled messy bun.

i sighed, my eyes feeling heavy. instead of checking on the constant sound of footsteps outside my door, i turned off the bathroom lights and crept back into bed, the feeling of comfort slowly cradling me back to sleep.