Chapter 20

I went in under the cover of darkness.

Night felt like the right time to strike. Most big cats in the jungle were crepuscular, meaning their prime hunting times were at dawn and dusk, so I waited until I knew they would calm down a little. It wasn't a sure bet, of course. I kept my bow at the ready, ears listening carefully for the sounds of a jaguar or an ocelot. That was the last thing I needed right now.

I went into the jungle and headed straight for the village. I felt so at home here now, surrounded by the rhythmic nature of the wildlife, my eyes and ears attuned to the ambiance of this place. It was so easy to get around, seeing the territory of the animals like colored circles in the trees, they were so obvious. No cliff or body of water or deadly predator could stop me or slow me down now.

Even the presence of the Kokowai seemed invasive now. When I found their village, I saw the way the stilts of their tree houses caused the jungle to grow around them, whole patches of land dead from their constant footsteps. They made so much noise, produced so much light, their paths extending into the jungle all around the village. Even living so close to nature, so akin to the animals, they still stuck out like a sore thumb.

The Kokowai were in a state of excitement, it seemed. Many of the voices I could hear were shouting, the hunters and women all headed in a particular direction, toward the far edge of the village. Children were with them, large groups being herded along. I began to notice that all of the villagers had dressed up, in a way. The women were wearing jewelry woven into their hair, and the children had cloaks of wolf fur draped over their backs. Even the hunters were wearing fur, tied around their waists. I followed the crowds, moving along the edges of the huts in silent darkness. I was coming to a gathering of some sort, and I felt my heart sinking.

They were gathered at the death pit.

I approached slowly and carefully, assessing the situation as I caught glimpses through the crowd of Kokowai people. The big tree trunks had been removed, all of the people gathered up to the edge of the pit. All walks of people were gathered; hunters, torches and bundles of sticks in hand as they shifted restlessly from side to side. Women, their long grass skirts swishing as they twisted to keep an eye on the many children. The young ones were struggling to get closer to the pit's edge, chatting excitedly as they hopped around.

Within the pit, Kokowai warriors danced. They were illuminated by a series of torches arranged in a circle around the pit, burning heartily as the faceless men moved about. They were shouting to the sky in an odd, wavering vocal pattern, stabbing their spears up, the jerky movements of their bodies in perfect unison.

Charlie was in the middle of the death pit. He had been strung up, hanging by his feet amongst a half-dozen other bodies. It looked like he had been beaten senseless. He was conscious, his eyes wide with fear, though one was nearly swollen shut and bruised. He had been stripped of his clothes, and he had a look on his face I knew well. He was a cornered rat. He would do anything to stay alive right now.

Shit, I thought, leaning against a tree as I watched the dancing warriors. There was no way I could sneak up on him now. My kukri was a useless tool of death strapped to my chest. I took out my bow and nocked an arrow, aiming carefully. I could easily hit him from here; there was enough space between the dancing warriors, and he wasn't moving much. I could catch him right between the eyes and end this now. It would be so easy...

But too easy.

No, I decided. No, it had to be a real hunt. That was the deal. That I hunt and kill Charlie. I couldn't just assassinate him like this. I wasn't a hired killer. I was a hunter. Like the jaguar, or the tiger, I didn't want my kill brought before me like a crippled thing. I wanted to hunt.