Chapter 12

Sixteen hours. At the most.

That was what I had left. Sixteen hours to beat Charlie to the beach. But I was doing it. I had already overtaken him, slipped past, and now I was closing in on the shore. I was still in the jungle, but I could hear it, the distant waves of the ocean, somewhere ahead. Charlie's trail, of course, was now behind me, but I knew he was headed in this direction. I'd probably have several hours to prepare myself before he arrived. Once I reached the beach, I'd scout it out, maybe set a few traps, and then lie in wait.

My bow now had seven notches in it.

There was something in the jungle ahead. I could hear the movement, but it was making very little sound, moving lithe through the trees. I didn't like how stealthily it moved, so I froze up and drew my bow, leaning against a tree and watching it carefully.

The initial sound was like a low hissing, with hints of a low, purr-like growl. I knew it immediately, and it made my breath catch as I saw its spots emerge from the jungle. The jaguar locked eyes with me immediately and took a slow step toward me, growling low in its throat. I stared back, setting my jaw. Come at me, you son of a bitch. Come on, do it. The jaguar took another step, eyes focused on me, body tensed and ready. I willed him to attack or run. Fight or flight. I was surprised at how little fear I felt.

"Come on!" I shouted, bow at the ready, setting my stance. As if in response, the jaguar let out a harsh roar, running straight at me. I nocked an arrow as quickly as I could and let it loose.

The arrow struck almost exactly where I'd aimed; in the jaguar's shoulder, high, right by its neck. It was in the process of leaping when it was struck, and it let out a hissing growl as it rolled in the air past me. I ducked and dropped the bow, drawing my kukri and holding it high. The jaguar hit the ground and stumbled to its feet with a barking growl, and I struck fast, without even thinking. I dove forward and landed on the creature's back, shoving it down with my knees and stabbing hard with the knife. It plunged into the jaguar's back, and the beast let out a loud, pained roar. His head twisted with surprising speed, jaws snapping at me as he hissed and shrieked. I drew the knife free of his back and then leaped to my feet, just as his claws came swiping at my face. He leaped and we collided, his claws digging into my back, and my kukri finding a place in his throat. The jaguar fell and I followed him down, the knife still embedded in his neck. He roared again and twisted his head, but I pushed his face down and twisted the knife, causing him to howl out and then very slowly fall still.

I came to my feet with a stumble, my kukri still embedded in the jaguar's neck as it gave a couple of final twitches, holding my shaking hand out defensively. My eyes were wide as I stared at the huge cat, having never seen one so still and so close. It looked majestic, all muscle and fur, built for a singular purpose. Even as it died, I felt a twang of envy. I felt it had lived better than I ever had.

I stepped forward and withdrew the blade from the still corpse, wiping the blood on its spotted fur. I sheathed it and sat down on a nearby rock, nodding at the jaguar with an odd sort of instinctive respect. He'd almost had me at several points, there. I could feel the blood dripping down my back from his claws. I removed my shirt and tore it apart, using it to clean myself up as best I could. Once I was ready, I stood, looking at the jaguar once more. Some part of me wanted to take something from him, like his teeth or his claws, maybe even his heart. I wanted a souvenir of some kind, something to mark this accomplishment. But Charlie was catching up to me. I had to move on.

I couldn't tell what time it was when I arrived at the beach, for the sky had gone overcast, threatening rain. It was refreshing, finally feeling the cool breeze of the ocean instead of the musty air of the jungle. It was odd to look out at the water and see nothing staring back at me. The horizon simply faded to where it met the blue of the ocean and vanished. I could see the northern island, a mass of vegetation identical to this one, but nothing else. No boats out here, not that I could see. We were truly alone out here.