Chapter 19

"Guess who's still alive, ladies?" I shouted as I quickly shoved the door open, pointing the pistol in a wide arc as I stepped inside. One of the girls dashed behind the ammunition crates, crouching out of sight, while the other dove underneath the table with the stove on it.

"Hang on, my friend, I know you're pissed at Millicent, but it's not my fault!" The one beneath the table yelled, and I stomped toward her angrily with the gun pointed shakily.

"It's Milli, you bitch!" The other, Milli obviously, yelled, peering out from behind the crates. "And you jabbed him, not me! Hey, Tommy, what are you so upset about?" She asked.

"You drugged me." I growled, pointing the gun at her and stepping forward. I grabbed her by the shoulder and pulled her out into the open, where she held up her hands defensively. "You fucking drugged me twice!"

"No, we offered." Milli said slowly.

"And you accepted!" Mimi called, peeking her head out from beneath the table.

"I thought it was something you wanted me to smoke." I said, lowering the gun slightly as Mimi emerged to stand by her cousin, her arms raised, the two looking near-identical in posture and expression. "I didn't know you were going to stab me again! And I didn't know it was going to be so...fucking intense!"

"So we bent the truth a little." Milli said, shrugging.

"And like I said," Mimi said added with a smirk, "that stuff will be useful to you."

"How the fuck is it useful to me?" I asked, raising the pistol again. "Do you have any idea what I've just been through?"

"You might be surprised." Mimi said, and Milli nodded severely.

"You're going after Amy." Milli said, stepping forward. "Aren't you?"

"Yes." I said simply, still keeping the gun on her. "Why?"

"Amy likes to use a local poison on his blade." Mimi said, nodding toward her mess of cooking supplies on the table. "What I injected you with is a sort of...antivenom we developed." She shrugged. "The poison won't be harmless to you, but it won't kill you now."

"I'm sorry we tricked you, Tommy." Milli said, pouting her lips at me over-dramatically. "But I was pretty sure you weren't going to let us inject you with a potentially lethal substance."

I blinked with surprise. "Potentially lethal?" I repeated. "It could have killed me?"

"But it didn't." Milli said, putting her hands together as though praying as she continued to pout. "I had a feeling it wouldn't."

I sighed and then finally holstered the gun. "All right, I guess that is pretty useful. Even if you were playing pretty fast and loose with my life."

Mimi grinned and slapped her cousin's arm. "You see, he's absolutely overjoyed." She said.

"Of course he is." Milli said agreeably. "Did you learn anything, Tommy?"

"Yeah, I did." I said, stepping further into the bunker and looking around. "I know where Charlie is. First I kill him, then I kill Amy."

The girls blinked at me with surprise. "That's a tall order, Tommy." Mimi said, crossing her arms as she looked at me. "How are you going to do that?"

"It won't be easy." I admitted, frowning slightly. "The Kokowai have Charlie."

"Oh, you're fucked." Milli said immediately, eyes going wide.

"You're so fucked." Mimi agreed.

"Maybe not." I said, holding up a finger and looking around. "I need to act fast. Can you give me anything to help? Anything at all?"