Chapter 1

Part One

Kayin Aves

Detroit, Michigan

Earth

April 27th, 2013

My roommate Maria liked to sleep with the TV on during the night; she claimed it calmed her nerves enough to sleep, but I didn't understand how. Rest had not come easy since the arrival of the Shielders. Nothing came easy these days, but sleep was one of the first things to go in my new world. It would be a small price to pay for our new normal.

Annoyed that I'd woken before my alarm again, I reached towards the nightstand to switch off the blasted thing before it could pierce the morning stillness. I rolled back over, covering my face with a blanket, hoping to block out the rays of light tugging at my eyelids.

I may have blocked out the light, but I couldn't block out the sound of the damn TV.

A flush of rage propelled me out of bed towards the living room where the TV blasted another news segment about the extraterrestrials. I mashed the buttons randomly, turning off the TV before heading into the bathroom for my morning shower.

After turning on the water, more thoughts of Shielders–– the aliens from another part of the universe–– flooded my consciousness. The familiar wave of sickness and the dizziness of losing control pulsed through my veins. The third panic attack I'd had in two days threatened to overtake me yet again. I grabbed my favorite lavender scented soap as it slipped through my fingers, falling in the tub with a clang. I ripped off my pajamas, stepping into the stream of cool water. I hoped the shower would revive my senses and keep my mind off the aliens.

Thinking of anything but them was a feat in itself.

I tried to focus on the cool water and the scent of lavender, but it wasn't enough to keep the wave of crippling grief from washing over me. I reached out to the cold stonewall to steady my weak knees as memories of fear and confusion clouded my senses.

Due to human languages being so different, most people called the La'Mursians Shielders. These aliens have sheltered human kind by keeping us unaware of the goings on in the universe. These beings wanted to learn more about our culture and help us get involved in the politics of space, but because we reacted so poorly to their arrival, they introduced us to the galaxy slowly. For the longest time, humanity struggled to deal with one alien species, let alone dozens.

Bracing myself against the wall with both hands, I tried to think of anything but the staggering death toll, the losses on both sides, and the ragged sounds of civilians screaming for help. The video footage of the clashes between Humans and Shielders burned inside my mind's eye and continued haunting my dreams. The fighting erupted all over the United States, only getting as close as Lansing, but it still scared me and I continuously feared for my safety. I was terrified every day that one thing would trigger the masses. The false sense of peace could be shattered at any moment.

"Breathe," I gasped. "Just let it pass. It's all right; you're safe. Everyone you know is safe. Breathe." I steadied myself as I thought back to the aftermath. "They aren't here to hurt you or anyone. They aren't here to hurt you."

While I still battled the initial shock, it was getting better. My panic attacks were less frequent and I could go about my day without getting sucked into the news reports. Just like the rest of the world, my life was falling back into place.

I stayed under the water for a few more minutes. My shoulders ached from my feelings of inadequacy and isolation. Most days I could control my fear, but days like today made me want to jump into a black hole and never climb out.