Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"I really need to invest in a damn car." I grumble to no one in particular before burying my face in my hands. 

Perched on the curb in front of school, with my school bag on my shoulder and my cleats by my side, I probably look God awful. My Dad was supposed to be here a while ago to pick me up after the game but as always, he's late. 20 minutes late, so far.

Pop offered me a ride but I had hoped he'd be on time for once and be here but of course, that aspiration was a little far fetched and now Pop is long gone.

I lift my head from my hands and take my bag off my shoulder, throwing it to the concrete behind me. I then lay back, resting my head on the hard school bag, releasing a sigh of relief. Not exactly the best place to rest but it will suffice.

I close my eyes but then realize that closing them probably isn't such a good idea when lying on a sidewalk so I open them and just stare up at the fading light in the sky. I soon grow bored of this and look for shapes in the clouds.

I had just spotted a Unicorn..ish shape in the sky when a voice startles me to attention.

"Well if it isn't the one and only member of the tongue hockey team." I roll my eyes, recognizing Aiden's voice.

I ignore him like I usually do and return my eyes to the sky, continuing my game.

"Ooh are we back to the silent treatment, Daniels?" He taunts, his voice growing closer.

I don't respond. I just stare up at the sky and search for more shapes amongst the fluffy white blobs. 

"Come on, Striker. This game would be much more fun if you'd give me some feedback."

I sigh and roll my eyes, finally turning my head to look up at him. He is now standing only about a foot from me, his navy blue baseball cap is still on but he no longer wears the dirty uniform. Instead, he has on a blue baseball tee and a pair of gray sweatpants. He must have showered because he no longer smells of sweat like all of the other boys.

"What are you still doing here, Aiden? Don't you have some slut to harass?" 

He hesitates a moment before replying.

"You aren't very pleasent to be around, you know that?"

I can't help but be mean to him when he's around. He's arrogant and irritating. Talking to him is like talking to a child and it gets me so frustrated that I can't even try to be civil sometimes. Most of the time, I don't even mean to be so rude to him, it just comes naturally.

"So I've been told."

I look back to the clouds and stare at one for a few minutes, trying to decifer what it looks like the most. A dolphin or a whale.

"What are you doing out here anyway?" Aiden continues talking even though I'm clearly uninerested in having a conversation with him.

"Shh."

He chuckles and is finally silent for a few moments.

"It's definetly a whale."

My eyes snap to him suspiciously and I see him looking up at the same cloud I was looking at. How did he know which cloud I was looking at? There's plenty of others I could have been looking at and how did he know what I was doing anyway?

"It's a dolphin." I say, just to disagree with him.

"Is not." He replies confidently. 

I glare up at him.