Facing the Galra Prince (Chapter 9)

Sorry it's a bit of a late update. I'm out of town and haven't had a chance to update until now. Thanks for reading and being patient, and hope you enjoy!

-----

The crowd was silent. The Masked Beast was no more. The whip had gone after Keith, and he had led it straight towards the Twig.

Keith grabbed his sword, as a slow clap sounded from the royal box. Keith turned and glared at Lotor, who only grinned down at him.

"It seems we have a new Champion!" Lotor boomed. "The Red Paladin defeated the undefeatable Masked Beast with ease!" He then muttered something to Haggar before leaving the box.

Sentries aimed their blasters at Keith forcing him back away from the exit as others came and dragged Twig's body out. Keith waited for one of his prison mates to be shoved in next, but the exit closed without admitting a new challenger.

No, the next one leapt down from the stands, tossing Keith's dagger at his feet with a smug grin. Keith wished it was another prisoner.

"I saw your combat inside the Weblum, but surely you've been practicing since then? I want to see you go all out, no holding back," Lotor mused as he drew his own double bladed sword.

Keith snatched up his dagger and elongated it into a broad sword. Keith swung it in his hand as he circled Lotor, summing him up.

Lotor was at full strength, rested and uninjured. When Keith had wrestled with him, he felt strong, but Keith had only seen Lotor with a blaster, not a sword.

If you asked, Keith would later deny it, but he was actually a bit afraid, unsure of how this fight would end. Lotor smirked as if he could hear Keith's rapidly beating heart as loud as Keith heard it at that moment.

Keith growled and lunged with a swing. Lotor easily dodged, and counterattacked, which Keith narrowly blocked in midair.

Damn! He's fast!

Keith gritted his teeth, snarling in anger as he leapt up for another attack. He front flipped, slamming his sword down towards Lotor with such ferocity.

Lotor barely managed to avoid the deadly strike. The sword clanged onto the ground with so much force, the blade cracked with a loud crack.

Keith stared at the blade in disbelief. With all the times Keith had fought with the knife, it had never weakened like this. He'd have to show it to Kolivan, if he lived to show the Blade of Marmora.

Lotor went on the offensive, jabbing and swinging at every opening. Keith narrowly missed the majority of the attacks, a few grazing his skin.

Each attack by either attacker was either dodged or met with another attack. They lunged simultaneously, locking blades after what seemed like hours of fighting.

Keith panted heavily, glaring at Lotor with as much hatred as ever. Lotor showed little fatigue except heavy breathing himself, grinning down at Keith like always.

"Incredible, you're strength truly is remarkable," he sighed. "Maybe Haggar should experiment on you a bit, since it's obvious you're some sort of hybrid."

Keith hesitated at his words, and Lotor saw his opening. Lotor slammed his foot into Keith's gut, knocking him back several feet as Keith tumbled in the dirt, desperately gasping for the air that was knocked out of him.

Lotor stood over him, sword raised. "Or maybe I was wrong about you, so called Paladin--"

Lotor was right. I am a Paladin, defender of the universe, fighter and protector of those who can't protect themselves...

Keith pushed himself to his feet, picking his knife up out of the dirt, and pointing the blade at Lotor, cradling his sore ribs. No, the Arusian sacrificed himself for me. I'll fight... I'll live... I'll find Shiro... I'll win!

Fueled with a burning flame in his heart, Keith roared. It was a more monstrous sound he definitely had never made before.

He charged, his attacks fueled with more power behind them. Lotor was caught off guard, and started losing ground as he struggled to deflect the barrage of attacks.

Keith knocked Lotor's sword away, and tripped the Prince, holding him down in the dirt. Keith snarled, sword raised to end Zarkon's bloodline.

"You're right, I am a Paladin, defender of those who can't hide from your tyranny," Keith snarled before stabbing his knife down, lodging it into the dirt centimeters from Lotor's head, slicing his ear slightly.

"But I also help all people, whether their evil Galra or not," he finished. He heard Haggar laugh as Lotor chuckled and shoved Keith away.

Keith turned as jolts upon jolts of electricity coursed through him. His body spasmed and he screamed as Haggar's magic ran across his body, draining his energy from him.

Keith collapsed, Lotor's triumphant laugh echoing in the darkness.