04

I laid across my purple comforter, the heat from outside making the apartment feel like it was on fire as I tried to cool off. My top was pulled up just to expose my stomach, and my fan was a few feet away from me, blowing cool air onto my body.

"-But what if I screw it up?"

Florence was pacing back and forth in front of my bed, stressing about her presentation she had to give to the company the following day. 

"Then you screw it up." I stated flatly, lifting my head to look over at her. She was fidgeting and tugging at the hem of her tank top every so often.

"This is serious, Mia. I mean, I'm a good accountant, but I'm not good at speaking in front of people I hardly know."

I sat up, crossing my legs underneath myself as I watched her.

"The worst that could happen is you get a warning or something. Besides, it's not like you'll drop drinks everywhere."

She gave me a grin, moving to sit next to me, "You know, it wasn't that bad. I'm sure they forgot about it by now."

I rose my brows, laughing, "Yeah, okay. It was only, what, a few days ago?"

She rolled her eyes and fell back dramatically, her back gently hitting the mattress.

"Listen, just think of it this way. You will never have to see those people again," I bit the inside of my cheek as she kept speaking, "well, unless you come to the Christmas parties and stuff."

I let out an annoyed groan and joined her on my back, both of us gazing at my ceiling.

It was quiet for a few minutes before she glanced over, "So... not the priority, but who was that guy you were talking to?"

I gave her a sideways glance as she continued, "You know, at the restaurant."

My heart dropped at the mention of it, his face popping into my head, causing me to grin and look back towards the white paint on the ceiling. I tried to focus on the patterns instead of the feeling in my stomach. 

"Honestly, we met for a few minutes before you pulled me out of there like a zombie apocalypse was happening and we needed to leave, ASAP. I barely got a name."

She leaned up on her arm and smirked, raising an eyebrow, "And what's the name?"

I hesitated, taking a deep breath, "James."

"That's hot."

I smacked her arm and laughed, replaying the events of what happened that night in my head.

"You're ridiculous." I spoke, sarcasm lacing my voice as I tried not to smile.

Genuinely, I was nervous I would never see the boy from the roof again. He was nice and calmed me down in the moment, which I was a bit envious of because half the time, I couldn't even calm myself down when needed be. But then again, New York was a big place, and the odds of me seeing him again were just not likely.

Florence spoke up, "You start work tomorrow right?"

I nodded at her question, snapping out of my own thoughts.

"Are you nervous? I would be." She stated, looking curious. I only shrugged. I hadn't really thought too much about it. I knew if I did, I'd worry myself too much and that would result in not wanting to go at all, and that would not be good.

"We'll see how it goes. But you have to tell me how your presentation goes. If you're fired, we'll start looking for some apartments with lower rent."