Reunited

I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of my phone ringing. I glanced over at the clock. One a.m. I picked up my phone, not recognizing the number. Nonetheless, I hit answer and pressed it to my ear.

"Hello?" I threw the covers off of me, trying not to wake Lindsay in the process.

"Brian?" I stopped moving. That voice.

"Johnny?"

"That's me," he chuckled.

"Why are you calling?" I opened the sliding glass door and stepped onto the balcony, leaning against the railing.

He hesitated before answering. "I had a dream about you."

"I dream about you all the time." The words slipped past my lips without me even realizing.

"I miss you. I've been so nostalgic lately, and it's because of you, Brian."

My heart sped up as I comprehended his words and looked out at the city lights. "I miss you too," I whispered, running my hand through my hair as I recalled our times together. "But, it's been years. Surely you've moved on."

"I did, but I still can't forget the feeling of you, the taste of you, the smell of you. You. I want you."

I licked my lips as my brain processed what I had just heard. I could still remember how his lips tasted, how they felt against mine. So good. "Are you seeing anybody right now?"

"It's complicated," he sighed.

"I'm not going to be your rebound, Johnny."

"No, no. That's not what this is. I don't want her anymore."

"I have a girlfriend."

"I don't care."

"How did you get my number?"

"I have my ways," he laughed. "Come visit me."

"Right now?" I glanced back inside to see that Lindsay was still sleeping.

"Yes. I need you, even if it's only for one night."

I bit my lip, contemplating whether I wanted to do this or not. My brain said no, but my heart said something else. "Are you still living in the same place?"

"Yes."

"I'll be there soon."

I hung up the phone, then silently went back into my bedroom. I put on some clothes and grabbed my things before looking over at Lindsay.

She was a beautiful girl - actually, no she was wasn't - but regardless, she didn't love me. She never has, and never will. She was just like the rest of them.

Nonetheless, I kissed her forehead before leaving my house and getting into my car. I started the engine and made my way down a route I knew by heart.

When I got to his place, I stepped out of the car and noticed all his lights were off. I walked up to the door and knocked, my heart beating out of my chest as I waited.

When the door opened, my heart swelled as I took in the sight of him. He hadn't aged at all. He gestured for me to come inside, and I did so without hesitation. The feeling was all too familiar.

He set down his glass of wine and stepped forward, engulfing me in a hug. No words were exchanged as our lips molded together. I could already tell that this was gonna be a long night.

---

"You've changed," he exclaimed as he trailed his fingers down my chest.

"Is that a bad thing?"