A. (Not so) Horrible Wednesday

~I looked around to see my mother, my real mother, standing in front of me with tears in her eyes. She was shaking me and crying, something I had never really seen her do, but I couldn't hear what she was trying to say between her sobs.

"Mom," I whispered, "Mom, what's wrong?"

She didn't answer. Instead, she pointed to something behind her. A cloaked man with blood dripping down the front of his clothes. I could only see his mouth, which was covered in blood and his teeth, barred and stained. My heart jolted as he came closer.

I threw my mother behind me, away from this animal. He looked from me to her as his eyes flashed with a tint of orange before I heard the blood curdling scream from behind me. I turned to see her, laying their, eyes wide open but her mind not present. A different person with the dark cloak was next to her. I felt anger rise within me at the beast who hovered above her, mouth around her wrist, literally sucking the life out of her.

I lost control.

Something within me, it just, burst. I couldn't focus on it, but it happened, all that was on my mind was to get rid of the thing that was killing her. Killing them all, as I ran at it, the bodies that were out of focus suddenly came into view. They were everywhere. People I knew and loved, laying with their blood spilling into the ground.

I grabbed and  jumped on the thing and tackled it to the ground. It's eyes were wide, like it didn't expect me to fight but I didn't care. I wanted it to be gone, and if that was for good, then so be it. I  got the feeling that niceties were out of the picture. I couldn't just ask it to leave.

The next thing I know I come back to my normal self  and that thing is under me, head smashed in, scractches on her face, but I felt no remorse. Instead, justified. I look back at my mother who is looking at me, horrified. I brush it off, thinking it's because of the things around us but when I come closer to her, her eyes get wider. She started to scream.

I tried to explain but my brother came, he hit me with a stick. I hissed, he hit me right in the ear. I growled at him but it was lower than I expected.

"Get back! Back you animal!" He screeched, jousting the stick at me like a sword. I backed up, confused. Why was he acting like I was the monster? I saved our mother! "Get back!" he screamed, tears streaming down his face as he held her in his arms, losing to much blood already.

I tried to make him put her down, but every time I stepped forward, he held her tighter, stepped back again and swung the stick at me. I had no idea what was happening, why wouldn't he just listen?

I stepped back at and as soon as I got far enough to his liking, he picked her up bridal style and ran to where I presumed the others were. I thought better than to follow him so I went to the lake that was only a few minutes away. On the way, I felt weird, like I was walking funny. I looked down to see... dog paws? I didn't know. I fumbled around trying to figure it out and before I knew it, I crashed into the freezing water.

I was engulfed for a second before I saw a cloak coming towards the water. It was the same man as before. I stopped moving as he slowly approached me. He motioned for someone out of sight to come out into the clearing and I saw it was my tribe's leader. More confusion set in. Wasn't this the man who just tried to kill my mother?

Eyota, the chief, came towards me, her long hair dipping into the water as she made her way out to me. "Shhh, Flo, Shhh" she murmured as she put a hand on my head and smoothed my hair, or my fur, back. "Everything is okay."

I took a deep breath. I closed my eyes and took in her words. Eyota was very calming, even in the most stressful times. When I opened my eyes again, the cloaked man was gone, but I no longer cared.