Chapter 3

With the imp gone, Freeze picked up his bike and rode home. When he got into the backyard he put his bike in the shed. Walking up to the back door, the glass fogged as usual. He went straight to his bedroom. He had done all the homework he needed to so he opened his laptop and went on Facebook. There were a few friends of his online, but none he wanted to talk to. He played a game for a while to keep himself occupied, as he knew what happened when he had time to think. He did his best to have dinner alone, away from his family, as the cold he brought with him didn't mix well with the hot food they ate. He loved nothing more than the cold, so didn't eat hot food. The cold fueled his power, restored his energy, but in the heat, he felt useless. Another thing he had to avoid was water. If he touched water for more than half a second, it froze.

Wen Freeze went to a public swimming pool for the first time since he gained his powers, he was in the shock of his life. At the pool he put his foot in the pool and ice started spreading immediately from his foot. He got it out in time and fortunately the ice only spread a little, but the realisation shocked him. He knew he could never swim again. He didn't particularly like swimming but he knew  that if he ever was thrown into a lake or pool, he could hurt the people in the pool with him. Just thinking about this made him sad, as did aa number of other things. He had little reason to be happy, and so many reasons to be sad. He felt helpless. What good were his powers if they hurt him just as much as they helped him? 

He looked on his computer again, and saw that a friend of his was online. He smiled. This friend was probably the only person he could talk to when he was down, which was more often than it should have been. He sent her a message, a simple ¨hi¨. She didn't reply, and her status went to offline soon afterwards. Never mind, Freeze thought, and went to bed, despite it being only 8 PM.