Chapter 6. Playing the Part

The plan wasn't as complicated as you thought it would be but still required a bit of espionage on your part. Peggy had put her job on the line to risk a few moments with Steve before whatever he was about to go through. Since you and Peggy were around the same size she had brought alone one of her uniforms for you to dress up in and you were to follow her into the secret laboratory where you would meet her before everything was set up. As you stared at yourself in the mirror you barely recognized yourself, smoothing down the collar of the outfit you had on. Your black hair was tamed down and tucked into a roll at the back of your neck, so slicked down it shone like oil. The hat was pinned gracefully over your head and low onto your forehead. You had on red lipstick and a touch of makeup, making you appear older then you were. As you walked out, you straightened your shoulders, walking with authority like Peggy had taught you.

"Put your shoulders back and tilt the chin up, you're a woman in a man's world Kathryn and you need to act like you belong there." She instructed, using the back of her hand to tilt up your chin.

"This isn't going to work." You groaned, feeling the anxiety rising in your chest.

"This is for Steve. Even if the whole world is telling you to move it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree and tell them, no you move." She said firmly before starting on you all over again.

Getting into the cab you gave the address for the place you needed to be. Tugging discreetly on your collar you watched as your neighborhood flew by, the shops that you, Steve and Bucky had spent so much time in. Now you were halfway sucked into a life of espionage and lies but you could almost hear Bucky laughing at you.

"Come on Katy Kat, you can't stay outta trouble for 5 minutes? What are we gonna do with you?"

Closing your eyes, you kept them shut until you pulled to a stop. IT was now or never as you got out, smoothing down the skirt and walking to the antique store with your head held high. Like Peggy had told you an old woman walked out, a false smile on her face as she stopped in the middle of the store.

"Wonderful weather this morning, isn't it?" she asked, her sharp eyes searching your face.

"Yes, but I always carry an umbrella." You responded with a smile, seeing her accept it and move behind the till.

You kept walking till you were behind a curtain where you let out a shaky breath. First part done and you were a mess, hands sweating a shaking. Pulling yourself together you waited as the doors opened and a whole other level of crazy revealed itself to you. There were military personnel everywhere and for a moment you nearly faltered before your feet carried you into the hall. Remembering Peggy's instructions, you turned left and continued down the hall. Counting doors under your breath you stopped at the third one before pulling out a key and unlocking it. Slipping inside you leaned against it before taking a shaky breath. She had said she wouldn't be longer then 5 minutes so you walked around, taking in your surroundings. There was a bed and a few medical supplies and you assumed it was just a medical room. Suddenly the door clicked open and you heard 3 familiar voices.

"I don't understand. I thought we were heading to the procedure area..." Steve asked, as he walked in.

"We are soon. There's just one last thing." Peggy announced as the door shut behind her.

You turned as soon as you heard Steve's voice and he realized there was someone else in the room. Turning he didn't recognize you for a split second and then the emotions ran across his face. Steve was always one to wear his heart on his sleeve and that was something you didn't want to see changed.