Chapter 25 Just A Couple Kids From Brooklyn

IT was just you and Steve standing on the road, the bike held up in Steve's capable hands. Since you two were the only ones with the ability to do it you were storming Hydra's front door. The plan was in motion and Steve jumped on the bike before handing you the legendary shield.

"Are you sure you're ready to face this?" he asked, the mask over his face only accentuating the blue of his eyes.

"Are you?" you shot back, setting the shield on your back, making sure your guns were in place.

"I'm just worried about you." He murmured and you felt bad for snapping.

"I know Steve but this is it. For Bucky." You said softly, resting your hand on his arm.

Nodding you knew you were immediately forgiven as you jumped on the back of the bike, holding onto Steve as he started it up. Revving the engine he took off, racing down the dirt road, leaves flying up and around you. The wind was whipping your hair around but it didn't mask the sound of the bikes coming up behind you. Turning you saw 6 of them, a few more then you had counted on.

"They're here!" you shouted over the noise of the bikes.

Blasts from the front of the bikes sent blue beams into the shield and you were thankful Steve had insisted you take it.

"I noticed!" he yelled back making a ghost of a smile pass your lips.

As you drove on Steve hit a button making cable whip out from either side of you, effectively clotheslining two of the bikers right off. Watching him hit another switch you felt the heat from behind you as fire erupted, torching another two as the last two zoomed to your left and racing ahead of you. Steve pushed the bike and you raced closer. Pulling the shield off you leaned over Steve and stuck it the front of the bike. Standing you used Steve's shoulder to hold you steady as he crept up beside them. Jumping onto the handles of the Hydra bike you used your feet to plant in the chest of the rider and kick him off. Turning you grabbed the handles wobbling only slightly before gaining control. Steve had pulled the grenade from the other, exploding it quickly, leaving only you two. Coming up to the base you saw the heavy artillery guarding it and had a moment of doubt.

"Watch yourself!" he shouted and you dodged the blasts from the tank that was moving forward.

You wheeled the bike swiftly, dodging blue blast and suddenly there was a boom as Steve blew the tanker up with a flick of a switch. The dust and ash were nearly blinding as you revved the engine, climbing up the side of the entrance and launching yourself into the Hydra compound, agents scattered everywhere. You used the gun on the bike to take down a few tanks before revving it and jumping off. Rolling you pulled out your guns and started shooting, dodging the blue blasts before making your way to Steve. His bike had blasted a hole through the door of the building and you knew that was your target.

"GO!" Steve shouted as he threw his shield, taking out two agents before ricocheting back to him.

"What about you?!" you yelled back, shooting an agent that was coming up behind him.

"You mission is still intelligence Kat. GO I'll be fine. I don't want them getting their hand on you." He argued, and you faltered for a second before running towards the door.

You knew that part of the plan was for Steve to get taken but that wasn't easy for you to let happen. Running into the building you shot the few agents left standing before slinking through the halls. There were a million rooms but each one was different and you were losing hope until you slipping into a room with a goldmine of information. Going through everything you quickly slipped documents and files into the bag and snuck out, searching for more. As you made your way down a hall you heard voices and you followed it, stealthily creeping closer.

"He resented my genius and tried to deny me what was rightfully mine. He gave you everything just as I gave Kathryn everything." Red Skull spoke almost fondly.

"You gave her everything but you also let Zola take everything. You tried to change her but when you try to change someone that good into someone bad, it'll never work." Steve said plainly, making you step forward a little, coming out of the shadow.

"Kathryn will change. I know she's here and believe me it'll be easier to change her now that she is broken." Red Skull sneered, making Steve's eyes harden momentarily, "What makes you two so special?"

Steve smirked and you felt your heart thump in your chest at the familiar sight. For a moment you saw the old Steve, the small skinny kid from back home.

"Nothing." He shook his head, staring right back into the cold eyes of the leader of Hydra, "We're just a couple kids from Brooklyn."

With a shout Red Skull planted his fist into Steve's face and then his gut sending him to his knees and you barely contained the shout that had built up. Steve looked up and for the first time noticed you in the shadows. He shook his head and motioned with his eyes for you to get out of there.

"I can do this all day.' Steve said firmly and you breathed softly, hearing the underlying hurt in those words.

"Of course you can, of course." He nodded before pulling the gun from his holster, "But unfortunately I am on a tight schedule."

HE raised it and pointed it at Steve and before you had a chance to stop yourself you were out in the open, bag completely forgotten about as you skidded to a stop behind Red Skull.

"NO!" you shouted, making him turn and face you.

"There you are Soldier." He leered and you stared him down as he raised the gun.

"Don't ever take your eyes from you're opponent Red Skull." Steve grinned as the windows shattered, and all hell broke loose.

Steve threw one of the guards towards Red Skull knocking him to the floor as shots fired all around you. You knew that you had defied orders but the sight of Steve facing down the barrel of a gun was too much for you since Bucky.

"I'm sorry." You shook your head at Steve.

"It's fine. Go get out please. We can't risk losing you to Hydra. I can't." he pleaded, looking down at you.

Nodding you ran out of the room, avoiding everyone as long as you could. Shooting your way through more crowded halls you ran through one door and found yourself in a hanger. A sleek black plane was sitting there and after a moments hesitation you ran across the tarmac and made your way inside. There had to be a goldmine of information and you were determined to get every bit of it out.