Chapter 2

"So, you're sure you're okay with moving out?" Alex asked. He had a cup of black coffee in one hand, and was helping Eliza pack up all of her books with the other.

     "I'm sure. Angie is letting me stay with her for a few months until I can get something for myself,  and John can move in here with you." Alex's cheeks turned a deep red, and he tugged on  the sleeve of his shirt. "Oh, don't think I'm as oblivious as the rest of them. Plus, you and John are cute together. And while I don't really want to think about how your soulmarks arose, I do think that you guys should just go for it." She poured herself a cup of coffee and surveyed her work. Even though she and Alex had lived together for two years, they'd still kept most of their stuff to themselves, which had made packing very easy.

     "So, I guess we're done. Well, packing atleast. I still think we should hang out sometimes, Eliza."

     "Yeah." She took a long sip of her drink, savoring the bitter taste, as she sat on the long blue sofa for the last time that it would really be hers. 

     "I've known this entire time we weren't soulmates, Eliza. I don't know if I didn't want to admit it, or if I was just too caught up in the lie. You're amazing, know that, someday you're going to make someone very happy. It's just not going to be me. I know we weren't soulmates, but I do like to think that we were good friends. This apartment is going to feel wrong without you. I know I acted so playful at the wedding, but I'm going to miss you. It's going to hurt like Hell, but maybe, in the end, we'll both be much happier than when we started. Elizabeth Schuyler, I don't love you. I never have, and I never will. But I like you, and maybe we never needed anything other than that to be what we were destined to be. Friends." He pulled her closer to him, and they sat together on the couch one last time. 

     "I feel like I need some big speech, but I do think you put it perfectly into words. If theorems one thing you can use, it's words. Alexander Hamilton, I, too, have never loved you. But I have liked you. And you're right. That's all we need."