Chapter 6

The cold winter air blew through Eliza's hair, the icy pavement crunching beneath her feet. She pulled her deep blue hat farther down her head, pulling her coat tightly around her shoulders. She was only three blocks from her apartment, but it felt like miles in the sub-zero weather.

It had been two years since her soulmark had first appeared. Nobody knew about it yet, which Eliza was very happy about. She couldn't even imagine the ruckus Peggy would cause.

Life had gone well for Eliza. She'd finally moved into her own apartment, a little studio apartment, snug and comfy. When Theo Jr. had been born, Eliza had temporarily started working as a chef, to help with the temporary lose of the two main chefs. From just those three months, she'd discovered her passion for cooking. Angie had finally given her a full-time job. Yes, it was hard sometimes. But most of the time she got to do what she loved with two of her favorite people.

One aspect of Eliza's life that hadn't gone as well was her love life. Sure, she'd gone on a few dates. But they hadn't felt right. Maybe she was just setting her standards too high, wishing for some make-believe person to come and sweep her up into their arms.

The killing blow had been struck the day she was asked to be one of Alex's grooms people. At first it had been awkward between the two of them, but they had it figured out within a few months. They had stayed good friends, and it really wasn't that big of a suprise that she was being asked to be a part of the wedding party.

But still, it was hard to think that her ex-fiancé had already found his soulmate. She'd been the most adamant shipper of the two within their friend group. They were a very cute couple, she had to admit. Something about holding the heavy white card in her hand had pulled on her heart, leaving her with an empty feeling throughout her chest.

She was happy for Alex and John, especially now that they were celebrating their one year wedding anniversary. She just wished that she could find her better half too.

The wrought iron door froze Eliza's fingers as she grasped the metal with her right hand, fumbling around for her keys with the left. As soon as she got the door open she jumped through, slamming the door behind her. She bathed in the warmth of the hallway, and started to walk up the old stairs to her third floor apartment.

Once she got inside, she sunk down onto the bed, hugging her pillow and pulling out her phone. She had a few messages from her sisters, which she quickly scrolled through. Her tea kettle beckoned, but she was already warm in the bed.

pegs: Guess what Eliza?

thewittiest: Is the thing official?

pegs: on my side it is

pegs: now we just need Eliza

thewittiest: sweet

e.sch: what's up?

pegs: we have big news for you

pegs: you know how your love life has been sad?

e.sch: I wouldn't say it's sad persay.....

pegs: it's sad. There's this girl who I work with who wants to meet you, so maybe Friday for ice cream?

e.sch: You gotta date for me

thewittiest: well what was she gonna do

e.sch: Angie!!!!

thewittiest: it's true though, you've been a single Pringle far too long

e.sch: fine, fine. It'll probably be fun. I do need to go out more often

pegs: you do

e.sch: you know what? It sounds awesome. What time?

pegs: 6?

e.sch: sounds good

pegs: Chill

pegs; I gtg now

e.sch: okay, bye. Love you guys!

thewittiest: love you too!

pegs: love ya! :)

Of course Peggy would arrange a date for her. But it would be fun. Even if the person Peggy set her up with was terrible, she would still get ice cream. And everybody knows that ice cream is as good a reward as anything else. She did need some advice though.

e.sch: I need some advice guys

turtleboi: sure, what's up?

alexanderhamilton: yeah, sup

e.sch: Peggy arranged a blind date for me this Friday...

alexanderhamilton: oh no

e.sch: oh yeah

turtleboi: maybe they'll be your soulmate

e.sch: i WISH

e.sch: but it'll never happen

alexanderhamilton: don't be so negative

e.sch: says the guy currently in a feud

alexanderhamilton: Jefferson has nothing to do with this

e.sch: see? I didn't even say his name

turtleboi: oh, she got you there

turtleboi: but IDK, just be yourself???

alexanderhamilton: yeah, that's probably the best advice

e.sch: wow, that's a very detailed plan

e.sch: I'm impressed

turtleboi: whatever. We got to go. Bye

e.sch: bye