Chapter 5

Sofia's eyes opened

Sofia's eyes opened. It was dark, it took a moment to remember where she was and what woke her up. She felt the bed shift and heard Vali whimper.

"Hmm, what's wrong?" She rolled to look and saw Vali crouched over Bucky.

They had fallen asleep with Bucky on his back and Sofia lying half across his chest. Now he was facing away, crunched into a ball. There was a low moaning coming from Bucky's chest. Vali whimpered again and nudged Bucky, trying to get under his curled arms. Bucky suddenly lurched to his back. His hands fisting the sheets. He was panting and covered in sweat. He muttered some words in what Sofia thought were Russian.

"Murderer." He then muttered in English.

"No, no." Sofia whispered and ran her fingers through Bucky's hair. Vali tucked himself into Bucky's side and nosed his cheek. Sofia did the same on the opposite side. Bucky's breathing started to slow. His arms came around Vali and Sofia. His fingers curled into Vali's fur and into Sofia's t-shirt.

"Shhh." Sofia touched Bucky's face and a small tremor ran through him. "I think I'm falling for you. Okay? So keep it together."

"Um-hum." Bucky sighed in his sleep.

Sofia smiled and tucked her head back into his shoulder, falling back asleep.

The next morning Bucky woke up before his bedmates. Vali was on his back, tongue lolling. Sofia was in much the same position, no tongue though. He slid out from between them and Vali rolled towards Sofia. The dog gave a small grumble but didn't wake up.

"Hey, no nightmares?" Steve greeted Bucky in the kitchen.

"Why do you say that?" Bucky asked, getting juice from the fridge.

"You didn't wake up the compound. Maybe that dog is trained." Steve smirked and continued to eat his breakfast.

"I was sort of wedged between him and Sofia. Between the two of them I actually slept." Bucky shook his head and went back to his room.

He took Vali out and came across Clint who showed him a stockpile of dog toys.

"You're really looking forward to your own dog, huh?" Bucky tossed a ball and Vali ran after it.

"This close." Clint put his thumb and forefinger close together again.

"I gotta go wake Sofia up, can he hang out here with you? He's having a good time." Bucky watched Vali snap at a butterfly.

"Sure. He'll find you if he needs to. He's a smart one." Clint picked up a frisbee as Bucky made his way back to the main building.

Sofia was on her side, his pillow clutched to her chest. She had sprawled out, taking up the whole bed. He sat next to her and pushed her hair off her face. She groaned but didn't open her eyes.

"I'm gonna just stay in your bed all day." She mumbled.

"Jesus, I wish you could. But do you want Tony to come looking for you? He has that tracker on your phone." Bucky laid down so they were facing each other.