Surprising Corners

•Chapter Two•
•Surprising Corners•

Week 6 of Pregnancy:

Your baby's nose, mouth, and ears are beginning to take shape. You may be having morning sickness and spotting.

I knew going to school today would be a bad idea. My stomach was churning all morning, but I went anyway. Once in a while I deserve a day off. Never miss a day of school. Making up classwork is far to anxiety inducing for me, but every now and then I could day off. One of those days should have been today. Now I'm leaning over a school toilet emptying my stomach's contents, there goes breakfast and whatever energy had for today. I knew I should have just went back to bed, I should listen to myself more often. The whole school probably thinks I'm passing a stomach bug around. I'm mean I ran out in the middle of lunch. I ran like my ass was on fire with my hand over my mouth. I'm a mess.

I was sitting there eating some crackers when the feeling hit. I dropped my crackers, launched up from my chair, knocking it over and ran from the cafeteria. I'm positive everyone thinks I'm spreading a bug around now. At least I don't think they know I'm pregnant. I just need to be more carful, that's all. Maybe I'll just start eating in the bathroom.

"Um, Harley, you in here?" A quiet, hushed voice asked from the other side of the stall. I flushed the toilet and stood up on shaky legs. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and opened the door. On the other side of the stall door stood a small girl, and when I say small, I mean small. She can't be any bigger then five feet. I don't know why she knows my name and I don't care to find out who she is. I pushed past her and walked to the sink. I splashed some water on my face and gurgled some as well. After wiping my mouth with a paper towel I turned back to the short girl who stood wide eyed while watching me.

"What do you want?" I glared at her, making her flinch away from me.

"Um, I-I, um, well I just...I wanted to see if you were okay?" She stumbled over her words in a shaky voice. I kind of felt bad for scaring her now, she seemed innocent enough.

"I'm fine, who are you?" I flipped my dark hair away from my face. I set a kind smile on my on my lips and softened my voice, seeing as she looked terrified.

"I-I, my name is..." She trailed off looking at me with horror. I arched an eyebrow at her, waiting for her to continue. "I forgot!" She screeched. "Oh my God." She started to mutter to herself.

"Oh-kay." I dragged out. "Bye then..." I turned and walked away from the odd girl.

"Wait! I mean, um...sorry?" I turned back around staring at the girl in confusion.

"Do you want something?" This little girl is getting annoying, especially with all this stuttering, just spit it out already.

"I'm Kelly, that's my name." The light haired girl said in a brave voice.

"I'm Harley, nice meeting you." I knew she already knew my name, but I didn't know what else to say and so I left rather quickly afterwards..

That was a strange individual, and I thought I was a bit of a weirdo, at least I don't stutter. After leaving the bathroom I decided to head over to my locker. Seeing as lunch would be over in a few minutes anyway and there was no way I was eating anything else. After mindlessly staring at my locker for a few minutes the bell rang.

•••

I do hate Mondays, that's for sure. Actually I hate everyday, let's just put it that way. No reason to solely hate Monday. All days are equal dreadful. But I'm glad Monday is nearly over. I just want to sleep and eat, but mostly sleep. Sadly, that would never come true. I have a job interview to go to. I actually think I'm really clever, I'm answering an ad for babysitting. Three kids, the ages of two, four, and six. I figure if I'm having a kid I might as well learn how to deal with them in these various ages. My mom thought it wasn't such a bad idea either.